Author Topic: Shelby prototype coupes - Little Red  (Read 1984 times)

Offline rodster

Shelby prototype coupes - Little Red
« on: August 18, 2018, 12:19:15 AM »
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline bgp429

Re: Shelby prototype coupes - Little Red
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 01:18:40 AM »
Too bad Craig Jackson apparently is involved,

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 01:25:24 AM »
Too bad Craig Jackson apparently is involved,
Craig jackson is about as involved as you can get. He owns both the Green Hornet and now Little Red.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »
I think we should focus on the car and what it means to the hobby, not personal feelings.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 02:57:32 PM »
I believe that the GT/CS aka 1968 California Special, was inspired from that car. Yup, I'm pretty sure.   ;)
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline geo302b

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »
I would like to know how these cars can lay around and nobody knows what they are. it had SHELBY on the sail panel SHELBY trunk lid. Its like the SHINODO BOSS  Dont these people watch tv or do they live in a cave. It dont look like it set in that field very long.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 03:48:34 PM »
I would like to know how these cars can lay around and nobody knows what they are. it had SHELBY on the sail panel SHELBY trunk lid. Its like the SHINODO BOSS  Dont these people watch tv or do they live in a cave. It dont look like it set in that field very long.

Plenty of people (the majority) don't care nor read anything connected to the car hobby. Not like these cars are in the news, other than a few online articles/posts in a sea of other more important and non-important things that really affect their lives. Sometimes they do and those owners are just ok at owning cars without telling the world.

As for how long it sat the allot depends on the location since in one part of the country it might take a car only a few years sitting out side to rust while in another it could sit out side for 20 years and have almost no affect. This also includes the amount of grass and or brush build up
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline geo302b

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 08:38:06 AM »
Yes this is true +1

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 10:51:40 AM »

Type in “shelby” in eBay and see how many real cars appear.

If you chased every car that had Shelby emblems on it, it might take you a long time to find a real one. I think Jeff’s point is well taken, most people dont give a hoot.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 11:00:14 AM »
Type in “shelby” in eBay and see how many real cars appear.

If you chased every car that had Shelby emblems on it, it might take you a long time to find a real one. I think Jeff’s point is well taken, most people dont give a hoot.

TRUE!

Worse yet, anyone who DOES give a hoot, wouldn't quickly assume any COUPE might be the real deal at mere mention of stating anywhere that "I have a 67 Shelby Coupe", you probably just got laughed at my most people who know just a little about a Mustang.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 04:09:00 PM »
I saw a blurb on the BJ auction TV show that the car is going to be "crowd sourced" funding the restoration. I hope that means it will be auctioned for charity.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 04:17:22 PM »
I saw a blurb on the BJ auction TV show that the car is going to be "crowd sourced" funding the restoration. I hope that means it will be auctioned for charity.

I read that they were "crowd sourcing" information about the car,...not for "funding"
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »
I read that they were "crowd sourcing" information about the car,...not for "funding"
+1 information.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1968Cally

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 09:34:29 PM »
I believe that the GT/CS aka 1968 California Special, was inspired from that car. Yup, I'm pretty sure.   ;)
Yes it was.  Lee Iaccoca was in LA for a dealer meeting in '67.  Several dealers approached him with the idea of a California only promotional car that would get people into showrooms.  They came up with this idea because the intro of the Camaro and Firebird in 1967,  understandably had cut into Mustang sales.  California had accounted for 25% of all '65-'66 Mustang sales so these guys carried a big stick.

Anyway, they had Little Red parked in back of the hotel where the meeting was taking place and showed it to him.  A dressed up coupe with the Shelby styling cues.  The goal was not to build and sell a lot of GT/CS cars.  The cars would be used to build a very large advertising campaign around to drive traffic to the showrooms where hopefully, they could sell a Mustang (GT/CS or not) or even some other Ford product.  Iaccoca thought it was a great idea and took it back to Dearborn where the GT/CS became a reality
Dave

1968 GT/CS