Author Topic: Heater water valve to bracket seal  (Read 2476 times)

Offline pellets4fuel

Heater water valve to bracket seal
« on: June 30, 2019, 02:39:25 PM »
On a 67 model year A/C car does anyone know what is the correct spec size o-ring seal goes in the groove of the base of the heater water valve to the bracket, or is the correct type seal something else (Viton, Teflon, other)?  The only info I have found is on the Cougar forum someone used an o-ring of unspecified size, with a bead of orange RTV applied as well. 
Thanks,
David

Offline pellets4fuel

Re: Heater water valve to bracket seal
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 02:52:03 PM »
Sorry did an appropriate set of search words on here and found some info on size, with someone stating possibly a square cornered one.  Anyone with any additional thoughts, and would the addition of RTV be wise as long as you can get it to look decent?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 02:57:23 PM »
You can download a copy of Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) 75 edition from the site below and see what service used.
https://squarebirds.org/Manuals/1965/1965-72FordPartsTextCatalog/
It's 45 files that is 430mb in size. It's Ford, but should contain common applications.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 04:41:39 PM »
Carry the valve & bracket to a hardware store, locate a round O-ring that fits by sight. It needs to "crush" a little to form a positive seal.
Original part was serviced by replacing the whole valve ~OVERKILL!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 11:09:05 PM »
Sorry did an appropriate set of search words on here and found some info on size, with someone stating possibly a square cornered one.  Anyone with any additional thoughts, and would the addition of RTV be wise as long as you can get it to look decent?
As mentioned the O ring can be found at better hardware stores. The big box stores typically don't have a good selection. The RTV is not a bad Idea if the plate has a lot of pitting on the sealing surface after clean up. Yes do your best to conceal  by clean off. The orange high temp aspect is not necessary over other gasket making silicone products and the orange color may even draw attention to the area IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline pellets4fuel

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 09:44:08 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input!
David

Offline pellets4fuel

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 04:42:13 PM »
Coming back to this as I have tried three times now to get this thing sealed up with no luck.  I am trying to use  the o-ring size spelled out in reply 11 of this thread
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11918.msg72027#msg72027
I come up with a 115 o-ring being 7/8 od x 11/16 id.  I have tried it with sealant (black rtv) and without with no luck.  I have also found a flat rubber ring close to the size (it is a aerator seal ring for a faucet)  I tried that with red rtv.   No luck. 
The o-ring seems a little bulky to squash into that groove.  I actually think when I really crank the screws down it has cupped the mounting bracket.  Seems like this repro bracket is as thick as the original.  The plating on it sucks as the leaking anti freeze made it flake off already. 
Hoping for some advice/tricks to try to get this sealed up. 
David
67 Cougar, 390

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 05:04:25 PM »
Since original valves are not practical to rebuild, I would think that an original bracket would not be hard to find.  Have you thought about posting a wanted ad and try that for a fix?   Keep in mind though that the brackets can rust and a pitted example might not help at all.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline pellets4fuel

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 09:26:05 PM »
Thanks John for the thought.  I have been thinking the same thing.  I have my original here, just not as nice and plated any longer.  I was trying to bend on it this afternoon compared to the repro, and though the thickness appears the same on each the repro does seem like a softer material.  Still wondering though if just trying to squash to beefy of an o-ring. 
David