Author Topic: big block dipstick tube  (Read 2715 times)

Offline pellets4fuel

big block dipstick tube
« on: July 08, 2019, 05:42:46 PM »
http://www.fordification.com/tech/dipstick.htm
In the link where it talks about dipstick tube and removal are they stating it correct that the tube won't fit all the way to the ridge?
I bought a repro tube for my 390 and there is no way the tube will insert all the way to the ridge and have the bolt tab line up with exhaust bolt.  I did a search here and found pictures of the general area. (except on this link page)
Thanks,
David

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: big block dipstick tube
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 07:31:49 PM »
http://www.fordification.com/tech/dipstick.htm
In the link where it talks about dipstick tube and removal are they stating it correct that the tube won't fit all the way to the ridge?
I bought a repro tube for my 390 and there is no way the tube will insert all the way to the ridge and have the bolt tab line up with exhaust bolt.  I did a search here and found pictures of the general area. (except on this link page)
Thanks,
David
You also have to consider the mounting strap. It will not line up with the bolt hole if the tube goes all the way to the raised ridge . I typically insert the (undamaged) tube until the strap with it's mounting hole line up with the exhaust manifold hole . With that done the tube raised lip can be 3/4 of a inch from the block opening. It can vary some.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline pellets4fuel

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 08:01:31 PM »
Thanks Bob,
I got an answer to this on the Cougar forum that the ridge doesn't rest against the block, but was for the installation tool.  Spent quite a bit of time on the answer to this question, but hey now I know a little something more about the FE, and dipstick tube installation.
David

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 08:50:54 PM »
Have seen and done it both ways (fully or partially inserted)  but have always let the tube guide me as to how far I would force it.

Here are two pictures - Upper left the owner/builder got the two to meet and the lower right where the tube isn't inserted up to the rig/lip

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:59:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 02:06:50 PM »
From a functional standpoint, this seems odd. If the dipstick tube is allowed to vary in insertion depth, wouldn't that translate into variation of the oil level detected on the dip stick?
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 05:00:10 PM »
From a functional standpoint, this seems odd. If the dipstick tube is allowed to vary in insertion depth, wouldn't that translate into variation of the oil level detected on the dip stick?
I don't think the tubes (one that goes all the way down and other that is partial are the same tubes. The straps would not line up with different insertion depths if both tubes were the same for instance. It may be a different vendor thing. The one that appears to go down only partial is the most common one I see on Mustang FE's. 
The one that appears to go down only partially is basically bottomed out when it lines up with the bolt hole.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby