Author Topic: 1967 Shelby GT500 Factory AC Hot Idle Compensator?  (Read 611 times)

1967 eight barrel

1967 Shelby GT500 Factory AC Hot Idle Compensator?
« on: February 26, 2020, 03:41:51 PM »
I have decided to install factory A/C in my GT500 because of the heat here during the summer in NE Texas. I am trying to keep it looking like a factory installation.
However, as most of us with GT500s know, as the engine gets hot the fuel percolates and the idle becomes rough or unreliable. I noted the use of the hot idle compensators on most factory AC installations from 64-67. What I was curious about is if the dual-quad Shelbys had them and how they were installed if so.
I have routed the PCV to the intake on the rear runner on the C7ZX intake and plugged off the nipple at the front of the air cleaner bottom.
If they do have one, could someone provide pictures of its location and installation?

Thank you, Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Shelby GT500 Factory AC Hot Idle Compensator?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 05:51:02 PM »
I have decided to install factory A/C in my GT500 because of the heat here during the summer in NE Texas. I am trying to keep it looking like a factory installation.
However, as most of us with GT500s know, as the engine gets hot the fuel percolates and the idle becomes rough or unreliable. I noted the use of the hot idle compensators on most factory AC installations from 64-67. What I was curious about is if the dual-quad Shelbys had them and how they were installed if so.
I have routed the PCV to the intake on the rear runner on the C7ZX intake and plugged off the nipple at the front of the air cleaner bottom.
If they do have one, could someone provide pictures of its location and installation?

Thank you, Keith
That is not used on a 67 Shelby factory in dash AC system. This is regardless of if GT350 or GT500.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 06:27:24 PM »
Thanks Bob. I had never noted one on any Shelby.  However, what is done to establish a more reliable idle while in operation?

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 06:52:41 PM »
Thanks Bob. I had never noted one on any Shelby.  However, what is done to establish a more reliable idle while in operation?

-Keith
A more reliable idle was not typically a issue on a stock engine 67 Shelby car back in the day. Sorry I don't have any information on what might be done on a modified engine like one with a non stock cam .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby