Author Topic: 1969 Front Valance Hardware  (Read 1078 times)

Offline ninedrvr

1969 Front Valance Hardware
« on: April 22, 2020, 04:02:46 PM »
I'm assembling the nose on my 69 Shelby clone/tribute. I have the AMK hardware kit for the valance that consists of 4 carriage bolts with nuts and 1 standard bolt, washer and nut. The 4 carriage bolts connect the valence to the fenders, so my question is whether the original cars only use the center support or whether they also use the hole at the ends of both frame rails? Looking online, the few cars that I'm able to see all use the frame rail ends as well as the center. The problem is that the hardware kit and the parts manual both indicate that only the center support is correct.

Thoughts?
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1969 Front Valance Hardware
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 04:07:12 PM »
Get a copy of the "1969 Mustang Body Assembly Manual" and see what Ford intended, and match that to what you have.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 05:33:21 PM »
Get a copy of the "1969 Mustang Body Assembly Manual" and see what Ford intended, and match that to what you have.
Jim
Jim ,the 69 Mustang Body Assembly Manual would be a good investment in itself and will answer many questions relative to the Mustang aspect of the 69/70 Shelby however it has no reference in it to the Shelby conversion portion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 06:25:49 PM »
I have the assembly manuals and they are a great resource.

The Mustang uses only the center support which is what I suspect the Shelby is supposed to have the same as well. I was just wondering whether there was an update which would explain why I'm seeing so many cars with all 3 supports.

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 06:34:15 PM »
Here is a car that uses all 3.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 06:41:10 PM »
I have the assembly manuals and they are a great resource.

The Mustang uses only the center support which is what I suspect the Shelby is supposed to have the same as well. I was just wondering whether there was an update which would explain why I'm seeing so many cars with all 3 supports.
There should be 2 carriage bolts on each side of the valance and 3 fender type bolts across the bottom . This was done at AO smith as part of the Shelby conversion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 06:44:13 PM »
Here is a car that uses all 3.
FYI the carriage bolts were zinc but were painted as part of the front nose painted together assembly. The 3 across the bottom were added when the complete fender/nose assembly was lowered down and bolted onto the car. The 3 fender type bolts were consequently not painted given they were added later and were zinc silver just like the fender bolts.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 06:46:39 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 01:42:17 PM »
Ok. That bring up another question. I'm assuming that the eyelets on the outer front edges of the front frame rails are used for the outer 2 fasteners. Is there some sort of spacer used for these fasteners? The eyelets sit several layers of steel away from the valance. If the fastener is tightened without a spacer in place then the valance will distort from the uneven surface.

Offline specialed

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 08:08:33 PM »
I have seen many cars with those 2 hole areas cracked fiberglass when the bolts are tightened.