Author Topic: Hipo engine tags and other engine bay tags  (Read 3267 times)

Offline jk66gt350

Hipo engine tags and other engine bay tags
« on: January 01, 2011, 04:56:53 PM »
I own 6S1575 produced in mid March 1966.  I saw on the SAAC forum that the metal engine ID tags may or may not be on these engines as only some made it back on new Shelby intakes.  I understand the engine ID decals usually were present on cars sold by SAI and that they were located on the coil bracket facing the front of the engine.  Can you confirm this is correct?  Can you also tell me what other decals or stamps should be on my engine or engine bay area?  I understand not all of what is listed in tag / decal kits for hipo mustangs is typically found on cars like mine, but I've never seen a list that lays that out.  I do understand the answer may vary by production date...   I know there should be a service recomendations  decal on the drivers shock tower, stamps on the alternator and coil, but I'm not sure about others like a paint ok decal, battery inspection decal, spark plug wire ID tags, distributor/coil ignition wire tag, alternator wiring harness tag...  Any clarification on what should be present in my car to be considered concours correct would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Hipo engine tags and other engine bay tags
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:50:52 PM »
I would not expect to see a metal engine ID tag on an engine from your period in a GT350 but would agree with the engine ID decal location (vertically located) you provided.

As for the "other" decals - first IMHO don't purchase a decal "Kit" since they include allot of decals you will not be using

You will want to purchase and apply

1- Service direction decal on the drivers side shock tower (forward face) Some later cars had them in a different location

2- Engine CU decal on the top of the air cleaner

3- MCA rules mention the AUTOLITE spark plug decal but I would not deduct for it not being there (seen many originals without this decal)

4- Battery inspection decal - located over the starter relay

5- You can add the little electrical decals (make sure you confirm, with original wire looms, their correct locations as well as the coil wire one.

6- There were no Paint or other inspection decals used for your car

BTW Charles Turner (of this site) is redoing (not sure where he is in the process) #6S1576 and I have #6S1203
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jk66gt350

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:59:23 PM »
Many thanks Jeff - great information as always.  A couple of questions to clarify your reply further:

1) when you say the engine ID tag should be vertically located on the coil bracket, can you explain what you mean?  My coil sits vertically in the round band clamp that bolts on to the front of the passenger side head, which is the correct placement from everything I have seen.  Unless the tag is smaller than I was thinking, I thought it would go horizontally on the front of the round clamp the coil sits in.  By vertically located do you just mean that the tag is such that the numbers are right side up as placed on the coil bracket or ?

2) re: your answer to #5, I think I know where the coil wire tag goes from another picture of a car that was supposedly concourse restored, and I read that the spark plug tags go on the front most wire on either side, but not sure where on the wire, or if that guidance was correct.  Can you verify correct placement of these tags or suggest where I could confirm that?

Thanks as well for letting me know about Charles.  I actually did connect with him a year or so ago after joining the SAAC forum, searching on car numbers close to mine and sending him a PM.         

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Many thanks Jeff - great information as always.  A couple of questions to clarify your reply further:

1) when you say the engine ID tag should be vertically located on the coil bracket, can you explain what you mean?  My coil sits vertically in the round band clamp that bolts on to the front of the passenger side head, which is the correct placement from everything I have seen.  Unless the tag is smaller than I was thinking, I thought it would go horizontally on the front of the round clamp the coil sits in.  By vertically located do you just mean that the tag is such that the numbers are right side up as placed on the coil bracket or ?

These should help with the orientation

2) re: your answer to #5, I think I know where the coil wire tag goes from another picture of a car that was supposedly concourse restored, and I read that the spark plug tags go on the front most wire on either side, but not sure where on the wire, or if that guidance was correct.  Can you verify correct placement of these tags or suggest where I could confirm that?       

Looking at a few dozen pictures from 66 I can't find an example of the tags being on the wires. We've seen them on restored cars and to my knowledge we have not deducted for them if they were there or not. The paper tag on the coil wire is there pretty consistently in the original pictures and many of the nice unrestored cars out there. Would expect that the spark plug wire tags would be there if applied since they were made of the same material and would have been applied the same. As always be wary of "restored" cars ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jk66gt350

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 09:24:05 PM »
A good picture is always helpful.  Thank you again !  John