Author Topic: Power Steering date code  (Read 806 times)

Offline ddonzella

Power Steering date code
« on: May 02, 2020, 03:31:33 PM »
I have a question for the group. I have a Shelby GT 350, Dearborn June 12, 1969. I found a HBA BK power steering pump with a March of 69 tag. Is that date too early to be placed on a June production car?

Thank you!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Power Steering date code
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 09:50:31 PM »
I have a question for the group. I have a Shelby GT 350, Dearborn June 12, 1969. I found a HBA BK power steering pump with a March of 69 tag. Is that date too early to be placed on a June production car?

Thank you!
It is a little early but not dramatically so IMO.You will be hard press to distinguish if the correct number on the tag once painted and installed let alone the date code. You will be the only one to know regardless.  If everything else on your car is date coded correctly like on your radiator,water pump, belts,carb ,dist etc and no other non stock modifications done to the car then it may be a issue for you but probably not anyone else. FYI only the Thoroughbred class is concerned about date codes.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 10:18:56 PM »
Agree its a bit early and that once the pump is installed it will be difficult to see with the index bracket and all. At the same time I understand ( we've all been there) that you will know if no one else will or cares. Might want to consider using it as a stand in then over your years of enjoyment/ownership keep an eye open for a better date or maybe someone will start reproducing them
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ddonzella

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 11:16:15 PM »
Thank you!