Author Topic: Red oxide tint  (Read 1042 times)

Offline shelby_1967

Red oxide tint
« on: July 21, 2020, 05:49:06 PM »
Does anyone know the correct color number or what works for the red oxide match for the under carriage of a early SJ car?   Tony

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Red oxide tint
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 01:32:05 AM »
First welcome to the site - Hope you find the support and information here helpful in your restorations endeavours

There is not "out of the can" color or tint that will likely match any of the original red oxide colors applied to 67 Mustangs and Shelby's. If you read the article in the library you will also be reminded that there was two different applications on the undercarriage (one firewall rearward followed by firewall forward) so I suggest you read that document as a start

Many over the years have chosen to start with a base of Ditzler/PPG P74LF (an epoxy based primer sealer) then have the paint shop tint it to match the original color found on the floor pans and also the front frame to get both colors. Out of the can it will be too red and it needs to be a muddier color. There are a fair number of threads with pictures of examples from original car but would suggest, that if you have already removed all your original color focus on other examples available built at about the same time at San Jose as your car.

One of many threads you can find using the search feature - hope this helps

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12069.msg73125#msg73125

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline shelby_1967

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 07:35:24 AM »
Ok thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 03:11:03 PM »
Just rereading this night and noticing your chosen screen name. Did you mistakenly place this in the wrong section? Were you asking about a 67 or 68 Shelby ?
Jeff Speegle

Offline shelby_1967

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 09:59:21 PM »
No I used to have a 68 about 25 years ago but now have a 67. I contacted Legendary who painted the car and they are supposed to send me the color code they used for the red oxide.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 11:20:53 PM »
No I used to have a 68 about 25 years ago but now have a 67. I contacted Legendary who painted the car and they are supposed to send me the color code they used for the red oxide.

Thanks for explaining. Want to make sure what you get is not a flat finish and based on your description they may not be aware of the two color practice

All my formulas are old and not useful in today's world

Do have tons of pictures plus I've kept some sections of floors I've cut from San Jose cars (all labeled with their VINs) so that I can match colors that way if needed for projects. Not something I would expect others would do.
Jeff Speegle

Offline shelby_1967

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 08:35:08 AM »
They definitely didn’t spray it with two different colors. I had to move the rear brake bracket that was installed to far to the left and need to spray the fix.

Offline shelby_1967

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 05:11:11 PM »
Jeff FYI in case anyone ever asks. I found out the paint and code that Legendary Motorcar used   Its a BASF paint Glasurit line   Paint code 8038B. 70% flat. It was hard to find had to go directly to BASF dealer Who had to get Glasurit line from Cincinnati.   Ugggg