Author Topic: 1967 Shelby 5 Spoke MagStar Lug Nuts- With Diagram  (Read 862 times)

Offline kkupec02

1967 Shelby 5 Spoke MagStar Lug Nuts- With Diagram
« on: August 09, 2020, 03:12:26 PM »
Asking the question with a new slant and diagram. I have an original set of rims. When I put on the Branda lug nuts for 5 spoke MagStar rims, the male cone of the lug nut sits nicely mated to the female cone of the rim. The hole doesn't look elongated. But, the sharp edges of the lug nut also fit into the same female cone in the rim. There isn't much material for the lug nut to grab onto. It is grabbing only that surface where the female and male cones touch. The sharp edges of the lug nut do not extend beyond the hole edges. I am not sure if this is the way they were meant to be. Should I be safe and add a conical stainless washer to add some material to grab onto?
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Shelby 5 Spoke MagStar Lug Nuts- With Diagram
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 06:27:52 PM »
Asking the question with a new slant and diagram. I have an original set of rims. When I put on the Branda lug nuts for 5 spoke MagStar rims, the male cone of the lug nut sits nicely mated to the female cone of the rim. The hole doesn't look elongated. But, the sharp edges of the lug nut also fit into the same female cone in the rim. There isn't much material for the lug nut to grab onto. It is grabbing only that surface where the female and male cones touch. The sharp edges of the lug nut do not extend beyond the hole edges. I am not sure if this is the way they were meant to be. Should I be safe and add a conical stainless washer to add some material to grab onto?
If the wheel lug nut holes are not elongated/wallered out then you should not have a problem. In the 50 plus years since the cars were new there has not been a ongoing problem with lug nuts pulling through the center of the wheel like you described for 1967 magstar wheels. I have not seen a TSB nor heard anecdotal stories of anomalous incidents like I have other issues for that model year Shelby. I have been involved with maintaining, owning/driving ,restoring ,judging many Shelby's since 1969.Take a deep breath then torque the wheels down good and go enjoy driving your car with piece of mind. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:30:14 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 06:34:18 PM »
As for the washer I have not ever heard of any one having to add washers under the lug nuts of 67 Magstar's. I wouldn't do it and I think it will not look good but that is just me. Others may think otherwise. At the end of the day it is your car do what makes you feel good about it. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 07:18:28 PM »
Like Bob I've never heard of lug nuts pulling out of wheels or causing issues. Only time I've seen lug nuts used with Mag Stars is when someone converts aftermarket/over the counter Mag Stars with different lug nut pattern for use on a 67 Shelby. The they use an off set washer (read Unilug) and machine the wheels for the new pattern and a counter sunk area that the washer sits down and in to hold  it in place. Not a commonly seen conversion
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 10:40:36 PM »
Thanks. I guess I'll do as Bob says and just torque them up to normal spec since there is no known problem. I do not see any elongation of holes. All seem to be the same consistent circular diameter. It just looked scary to me. 
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster