Author Topic: 1967 Mag Stars  (Read 971 times)

Offline kkupec02

1967 Mag Stars
« on: September 22, 2020, 05:30:06 PM »
I just bought a rim to use as a trunk spare for my GT500. The four on the car have a dark charcoal accent to the indents and the non chrome areas by the lug not holes. The original rim that I just bought does not have the charcoal accents. Possibly cleaned and re chromed a while ago? Not sure. The accents look original to my rims, but it isn't paint. Is there a blueing process or acid process that they used back in the day? PS I know the acorn lug nuts are wrong. I have new ones from Tony Branda that I haven't put on yet.
1967 GT500 Built 1/26/67 #817
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Mag Stars
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 06:32:59 PM »
I just bought a rim to use as a trunk spare for my GT500. The four on the car have a dark charcoal accent to the indents and the non chrome areas by the lug not holes. The original rim that I just bought does not have the charcoal accents. Possibly cleaned and re chromed a while ago? Not sure. The accents look original to my rims, but it isn't paint. Is there a blueing process or acid process that they used back in the day? PS I know the acorn lug nuts are wrong. I have new ones from Tony Branda that I haven't put on yet.
The original rim that you just bought does not have the charcoal accents because someone (not the factory) stripped the paint by blasting or other method.The best you can do is match the shade and color of the wheels on the ground in a paint and detail them out to match.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 09:24:52 PM »
Thanks. It looks like light soda blasting. I'll have to match the paint up. It will be a trunk spare anyway. The chrome is actually in better shape than the ones I am driving on.
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline kkupec02

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 05:51:03 PM »
I heard that there may be a difference between early and late car Mag Stars regarding painted or not?
1967 Corvette Roadster

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 06:29:10 PM »
I heard that there may be a difference between early and late car Mag Stars regarding painted or not?
You heard wrong. It is a matter of early and later shade difference of the coating used to colorize the center. The lighter shade looks similar to the unpainted but it is different. That must be the reason for the erroneous report you got.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby