Author Topic: 66 SJ Battery OK decal inspection content  (Read 3017 times)

Offline jk66gt350

66 SJ Battery OK decal inspection content
« on: February 05, 2011, 05:23:38 PM »
I have a 66 GT 350 that has a SJ production date of about mid March.  I assume the date on the Battery OK decal should be a mid March day.  Can anyone tell me how the dates were written on these decals?  3/xx/66 or some other format?  Also what would typically be in the 'Charge Reading' box, or in the 'Badge' box on the decal?  Does anyone have pictures of their original decal from a 66 SJ car they could post?  I'd like to replicate the original decal as well as possible.  Thanks  John 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:53:54 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Battery OK decal content
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
We don't find many originals remaining after all these years since they were originally untreated paper stickers - unlike the current vinyl reproductions - which simply desolved in short order.
To construct a new one you will want a decal that uses black ink in the printing of the background layout and one where the horizontal and vertical lines meet or cross.  Also don't use the reproduction that has the rounded corners.

Since we have no Marti reports to go by the guess of a completion date is solely that - a guess ;) as for the original style and type of markings for a spring 66 San Jose battery decal my best guess based on what I've seen would be that all of the information would be filled out by hand in either pencil or black ink (ball point pen)  The first box to the left would be the specific gravity as measured (at that time) by a bulb  (something like 12.5-12.7 would be typical IMHO) the date would be the month and day of month (no year) with a slash between the two in the center box. The final box to the right would be a part of initials belonging to the inspector.

Hope this helps -  Other viewing this please do not use this as a guide for your specific car or decal unless your car matches EXACTLY ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jk66gt350

Re: Battery OK decal content
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:53:13 AM »
Great information as always Jeff !  Thanks again.

Offline Shuskan3

Re: 66 SJ Battery OK decal content
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 01:35:48 PM »
I am also working with a '66 San Jose car and wanted to confirm the battery ok decal contents. Based on the above and other posts I've read, considering the following:

Charge Reading                                Date                                     Badge
      1.27                                        FEB 14                                      SC (my initials- should I incldue middle initial?)

Plan would be to write this in black ink. Please correct/provide feedback on this.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:54:41 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 SJ Battery OK decal content
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »
I am also working with a '66 San Jose car and wanted to confirm the battery ok decal contents. Based on the above and other posts I've read, considering the following:......................

First welcome to the site - hope you find the assistance and information here helpful in your restoration endeavours

Guess we should start - when was your car built?  Added  ::) guessing you have estimated that it may have been finished on the 14th of Feb

And are you planning on using one of the vinyl stickers with the black printing?

NOTE: This is a 7 year old thread and we continue to learn more aas time passes or at least that is the plan :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:56:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Shuskan3

Re: 66 SJ Battery OK decal inspection content
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 03:23:25 PM »
Thank you, Jeff.

I have been searching the site over the past month as I restore my car ('66 A Code GT Convertible). Fantastic site and information. One disclaimer- I'm getting a lot of things 'right' on the car but it is never intended to be a true concours car.

Estimated completion of car is in the Feb 14, 1966 range. I am using one of the vinyl stickers with black printing (and square corners) included in the Osborn kit. I understand the orginals were paper based and typically didn't last.

Thanks again for your support.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 03:37:04 PM »
FYI for those reading the decals and stickers from ECS are much more authentic in appearance material compared to the Osborn versions. The ECS does cost a little more I think. NPD carries them or you can buy them direct. The ECS is what NPD refer to as the concours correct version in their catalog. They are listed in a section after the Osborn version. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »
...........Estimated completion of car is in the Feb 14, 1966 range. I am using one of the vinyl stickers with black printing (and square corners) included in the Osborn kit. I understand the orginals were paper based and typically didn't last.

Be careful with the "kits". As you will read in many threads they will include decals for things that were not originally decals and decals not original to your car.

As for current understand I would suggest that you might include the full year (1966) in the date area using the correct printed font.  San Jose went to the inspector number sometime in the spring. Still hand written at this point in time. This might have been earlier but no data point currently to put it at an exact point in time 

Of course we are working a very small number of original samples after all these years so thing and understanding evolve as new data appears and is evaluated. Would offer some paper based ones but guess that the vinyl ones will hold up better over time given your likely planned usage of your car
Jeff Speegle

Offline Shuskan3

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 04:09:46 PM »
Fantastic. Thank you all!