Author Topic: Window dates  (Read 724 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Window dates
« on: July 12, 2022, 12:05:13 PM »
If we looked at a few hundred Mustangs in the show field we would find that windows were made and dated in every month of the year? Or, were they made in batches leaving out some months?
I could do a poll for each year but thought I should start with a general query.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 12:39:26 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline RoyceP

Re: Window dates
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 12:28:17 PM »
I suspect the glass plant was busy year round. They likely had a quota to meet production needs for every model. A window set for a popular car like the Mustang would have been made every month but not necessarily every day of every month. Something less produced like a full sized Ford two door sedan might only need to be made every other month to meet the number required.

Plus the windshield and side glass of 1967 and later Mustangs was shared with Cougar, thus increasing demand.

There were limitations on how many windows could be made in advance because of storage space limitations. So a nearly constant flow of product would be needed.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 02:15:25 PM »
Coupe or hardtop glass, probably continuously.
Convertible and fastback glass, could have been produced less often. Would depend upon production scheduling, capacity, number of machines etc.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 03:45:22 PM »
Would depend upon production scheduling, capacity, number of machines etc.
It starts with a marketing forecast well before any production is scheduled. Mustangs were grossly under forecast. Ford management never thought the Mustang would be so popular. That's why the San Jose plant was converted to Mustang production, followed by Metuchin. Everything else followed in panic mode.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 04:35:25 PM »
Believe it depends on what time period or production year your focusing on. and of course there may be labor issues at supplying plants or other things we don't know about currently.

Visited Libbey Owens Ford (LOF) plant here locally, about six blocks from where I was living at the time, in the mid to late 70's since it was in our fire protection district. Interesting place though there were rooms and production areas they even we could not visit not inspect. If I recall it was the laminating (safety glass) section. Guess if we had wanted to push the issue we could of but there on a visit rather than a required inspection those times
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)