Author Topic: Painting the silver on the shaker scoop ribs  (Read 1016 times)

Offline 69supercj

Painting the silver on the shaker scoop ribs
« on: September 08, 2022, 06:10:16 AM »
First, did ALL shakers have the ribs painted silver and if so whats the correct color, all silvers aren't equal. and whats the best process of painting them.

Offline 69 black r code

Re: Painting the silver on the shaker scoop ribs
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 02:26:03 AM »
I don't believe the ribs were painted. I believe they were bare aluminum. I  base coated entire scoop black then with very fine sand paper lightly sanded the black off the ribs. Followed with a coat of matte clear. Hope this helps.
4-69 Mach1 NJ 428cj

Offline 69supercj

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 03:04:24 PM »
Can I Please get some verification on this. Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 02:27:55 AM »
The option over the years has been that they were painted. Never had a NOS from the period to confirm and the used ones I did have appeared to be painted. You could rub, scrap or samd through a section and see the difference

The Boss and CJ sites have a fair number of threads on the subject and suggest include

- Pinstriping tape over the rib top edge then paint scoop black and peel back carefully the tape when done and before paint fully (black dries)
- Paint the scoop black. Get a fine texture trim paint roller and apply the silver using the roller to the ribs
- Purchase a Testor's paint felt tip pen and after painting the scoop black apply silver paint the the top surface of each rib with equal pressure that the the felt tip is not pressed down and around the side edges

Sure there are more options that I've not heard of and of course its easier just to sand but be careful of the filings/residue as it can make a mess of things. At least it has for me on things like valve covers and aluminum topped air cleaners

Just one of a number of threads

https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=21064.msg141406#msg141406

https://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=3293.msg20405#msg20405

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KevinK

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 03:21:57 AM »
I was told by one of the experts in the 90s that the ribs were painted silver and roller was best method.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline K-HESS

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 08:46:20 AM »
I have an NOS scoop that I acquired decades ago. It was taken out of the box but never used. The ribs are definitely painted. You can see where the paint has been scratched and black paint is showing from underneath. I have also used a roller in the past.
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 09:58:44 PM »
Agreed...these were painted not sanded bare.  I just detailed one of these a few weeks ago.  I use a silver argent paint pen some good lighting and alot of patience.  Not easy but comes out good and took about 1 hour.  I would rather see 1 or 2 minor imperfections than have it sanded perfect. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline 69supercj

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 09:28:49 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. Its much appreciated!!

Offline 69supercj

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 09:38:18 AM »
I have an NOS scoop that I acquired decades ago. It was taken out of the box but never used. The ribs are definitely painted. You can see where the paint has been scratched and black paint is showing from underneath. I have also used a roller in the past.

The consistent overspray pattern in the last two pics obviously shows that they were sprayed and not rolled. I'm curious as to how they sprayed it and achieved the consistent overspray pattern only in the areas shown. Must of had some type of jig/mask that was laid over the scoop that only allowed the ribs to be exposed maybe. Very interesting. Thanks for those pics!!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 09:50:13 PM »
The consistent overspray pattern in the last two pics obviously shows that they were sprayed and not rolled. I'm curious as to how they sprayed it and achieved the consistent overspray pattern only in the areas shown. Must of had some type of jig/mask that was laid over the scoop that only allowed the ribs to be exposed maybe. Very interesting. Thanks for those pics!!

Just sharing from observations that allot of the detail paint applications done by providers of the individual parts to Ford used brass stencils to mask areas not meant to be painted
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)