Author Topic: Pre-Delivery - Dealer Prep Discussion - All Classic Years  (Read 2645 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Pre-Delivery - Dealer Prep Discussion - All Classic Years
« on: October 22, 2022, 12:36:07 AM »
Difficult to find a category that this fits into so here it is.

Discussion started focused on 67 Shelby's and what details they would have left Shelby America and they arrived to the dealership prior to dealer prep.

Not focusing on the check list of mechanical checks and work that was required but instead things like what was installed, what was not, what came with the car, and what the dealers had to provide. If we get enough details about a particular year or plant we can separate those out but until then we'll start with general observations since examples are rare and more often focused on a few years 

- Antenna - Not installed but in the trunk in a paper bag and no hole cut in the fender of that is where it was going to be mounted

- Wipers - In place but with clear plastic bags or sleeves over them. These appear to be torn from a roll.

- Seat belts - Either wrapped with clear plastic sleeve or wound up and bond depending on year and plant

- Standard type mirrors - Not installed. This worked in two ways for Ford. It reduced thief and damage in transit and allowed the dealer to up sell a mirror during some years where their were many options for that

- Hubcaps and valve stem extensions if needed were not installed but instead placed in the trunk

Sure there is more but this gets the list started. Will add to the list above as they come in during the discussion

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here are some examples. Of course can't be certain that each has not been staged or things have not been added over the decades but if we get more we can compare and evaluate.

6F380xx - We can see the heater operation hang tag and the likely the "Move every so many days" hang tag. Not sure what the paper wrapper is but IMHO it looks to have been a cover for the seat belt buckle. And no I don't know with is on the passenger front floor :)

Trunk - Appears that the owner added a few things to the trunk for storage that would not have been present when the car arrived at the dealership but does include a fair amount that would have

6F362xx - Rear seat belt with what appears to be a single sleeve over one side.

8TT1975xx - Change plant and year we see how the front seat belt on this example was bundled from the factory. Different plant different supplier and method?

9F2169xxx - 69 Dearborn with the wipers protected in a clear plastic bag or sleeve.

Trunk - Some of these items may be in the trunk for safe keeping rather than all of them being in there originally from the plant. For example I don't think that the shipping company needed the tie down J hooks to be provided and in the trunk they would not be accessible.

Will look for more

« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 12:38:24 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Pre-Delivery - Dealer Prep Discussion - All Classic Years
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 01:12:52 AM »
Thought I would add this picture that is reported and appears to the arrival of a 67 San Jose Fastback to Shelby in 1966. Notice no dealer prep (antenna, hubcaps)

Wipers in place but no bags/sleeves. Window sticker (Ford not Shelby's) and one small inspector sticker on vent window. Typically there are three such stickers - locations differ depending on shift and inspectors from my research. Must be noted that this car was not built under a Shelby DSO so it had items on it (such as trunk lid, grill, GT package, headlight buckets....) like a "normal" Shelby. Given the location likely delivered by truck transport rather than by rail.

to be
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 06:25:49 AM »
Thought I would add this picture that is reported and appears to the arrival of a 67 San Jose Fastback to Shelby in 1966... ...Must be noted that this car was not built under a Shelby DSO so it had items on it (such as trunk lid, grill, GT package, headlight buckets....) like a "normal" Shelby. Given the location likely delivered by truck transport rather than by rail.

to be

67 GTA with Exterior Decor, Rocker Moldings, Wide Oval (14-inch), so no Competition Suspension option? (this example seems odd)

Curious if anyone has a perspective on why this would be an example that SAI would have recieved?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 06:34:40 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 12:20:33 PM »
The car is purported to be an early conversion into 0176.

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 02:20:00 PM »
67 GTA with Exterior Decor, Rocker Moldings, Wide Oval (14-inch), so no Competition Suspension option? (this example seems odd)

Only a very very small number of comp suspension cars were built while allot of similar cars to what we can see were.  Guess by odd your referring to the idea that it would not match fully how "regular 67 GT500's were specifically built and provided but this was quicker and just possibly the comp suspension parts may not have all been available that week at the plant. Just a possibility or this car was built and available when they wanted it. So basically available in a day.

Like most years Shelby needed examples to test and try out things on in preparation to full production. In 65 there was a "preproduction" possibly pilot plant red fastback that arrived at Shelby so early that some of the trim pieces were not included with the car. Not sure that that car had not been used for other purposes prior to its arrival at SA. In 66 they purchased a deluxe interior 66 for the test model that became #001 also. Not sure why the blue and tan interior cars were ordered or built but examples of some of the oddities we see
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 02:27:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 04:18:11 PM »
Great thread!

I've heard cigarette lighters were often stolen on rail cars so the trunk makes sense.
I do have a question on the heater control tag. Would it have remained for the customer?
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 04:55:24 PM »
I do have a question on the heater control tag. Would it have remained for the customer?

Just as a mention - For the early cars there was a change in how the switch operated. IF I recall correctly  ::) there was a center off and a all the way to the left off switches

Yes that tag would stay for the buyer on 65 cars Don't recall it's use or need for 66.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 04:57:05 PM »
Great thread!

We try :)

Just as a mention - For the early cars there was a change in how the switch operated. IF I recall correctly  ::) there was a center off and a all the way to the left off switches

Yes that tag would stay for the buyer on 65 cars Don't recall it's use or need for 66.
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 10:44:11 AM »
What about the 67 white sealed bag with the keys inside on a ring with the  decoder? I found one stuck between pages of a 69 mustang manual and i had ecs make them from an original . The envelope says    This envelope contains trunk and glovebox  compartment keys.       To the dealer.     This envelope should be sealed when you receive it.  However,in order to substantiate any claim for shortage to trunk contents, the condition of this envelope on receipt must be noted on carriers delivery document; le.,  A statement as to whether it is sealed, unsealed or has been tampered with.   We thank you for your cooperation.       Ford oval traffic dec.67 aad-7152  printed in usa.     This white with black lettering envelope was a unique odd type and we had to have it made correctly and had the sticky seal on top to seal it shut when keys were put inside . I think this was how ford decided a  loss claim during car shipments from trunk and glovebox items that were stolen or missing. Before the 67 white envelope was used i think ford sealed these keys in the same  brown envelope like the liecence plate screws were in as i found keys in a brown envelope with a 66 glovebox set of paperwork.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 10:48:35 AM by specialed »

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 10:59:58 AM »
With a date of Dec 67 this envelope appears to be a 68 issue.
Would a 67 use the brown envelope? If so, what does that envelope look like?

I'm also looking for details on the "clear Ford envelope" in last pic of first post.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 11:04:00 AM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 03:03:01 PM »

Need to look through the collection. Also paying attention to what years used which design and at least consider the possible difference to what was supplied to different regions of the country/DSO's

I'm also looking for details on the "clear Ford envelope" in last pic of first post.

The clear bags I've seen mostly if not all on later cars. Will look to see what I have pictures of and hopefully others with collections of original paperwork and such things from their cars will post also.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1969 Cale II

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2023, 08:50:41 PM »
Talk about junk in the trunk. On my Spoiler II, it had 4 trim rings, 4 center caps, spoiler, all in boxes, plus antenna

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2023, 11:11:03 PM »

The clear bag was not used in 67.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby