Author Topic: Be Careful Out There  (Read 1089 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Be Careful Out There
« on: December 21, 2022, 09:45:58 PM »
Another cautionary tale that pop up from time to time that remind of of the pitfalls associated with the "hobby"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/iowa-mechanic-ordered-pay-7-134546948.html
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Drew Pojedinec

Re: Be Careful Out There
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 05:34:45 PM »
To be honest, the burden is on the vendor. But...

For my own hobby business, I often make hard choices that make it so I get screwed vs a customer.

I never ever accept money ahead of time.
I foot the bill for everything until all is tested to my standards and completed. I cannot tell you how many people want to send money and get the work done sooner. It isn?t morally responsible.
This is the case for my own cores or customer mail ins.
The expense is 100% on me.
From my point of view, if I cannot afford it, it isn?t something I should be doing.
Recently an engine builder proved that taking money for future projects so you can complete existing projects is NOT a good business model.
In the article, I 100% believe the customer was naive is hell and should have paid more of a role, but the vendor himself needs to be held accountable.

Either way, too many people in this industry are in it for profit vs the love of the craft.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 05:38:36 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 06:51:41 PM »
Not going to use the word "blame" that was for the court to decide. But yes agree that there was more trusting and not enough double checking and diligence

And in turn the reason for posting. Allot of people "pop into" the hobby, think they can read a few articles because they want to own such and such car. Then they can be ripe for the picking or making their own bad choice. Most here are well versed in the better ways to go about things but we do have allot of lurkers and readers that I hoped reading might cause them to take a moment and think about things before they jump head first into a purchase or hire someone.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mustangted

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 09:07:15 PM »
he wont collect any of it
66 L6 Coupe, 06 v-6 coupe