Author Topic: 1968 GT350 paint inspector ink stamps  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
1968 GT350 paint inspector ink stamps
« on: July 19, 2023, 12:32:46 AM »

Had a good time out at SAAC last weekend in Pittsburgh and came across this mostly original unrestored 1968 GT350.  Built in mid November took some photos of the paint inspection stamp on the fender.  This particular inspector stamp although hard to see in the photo was stamped before the fender bolt(s) were installed.  Curious if anyone else has seen this before.
Also spotted one other inspector stamp visible on the cowl.

20230715_125248 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

20230715_125307 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

20230715_125629 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 GT350 paint inspector ink stamps
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 08:37:25 AM »
I saw it 😉

The one on the cowl appears to be "PAINT O.K.  #3 - 5"

I have never seen the reddish colored one on the apron before

Sorry didnt study the fender lip one and probably need a better photo

The fact that it was stamped before the fender bolt was installed probably indicates it was stamped before it was attached and supports my observations that the fenders and cowls do not match.

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/Inspectors.html

I cant say I noticed the bolt heads. The circles are atypical
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 08:40:50 AM by Coralsnake »

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 08:01:41 PM »
I would agree that the fender was stamped before installation....had to be.  Not sure how else that ink stamp got on there.  So must have gone thru a different process then what we see on the cowl which I assume was later during the assembly process.  Would be a nice detail to add to a car built around this time frame. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 08:34:43 PM »
I would agree that the fender was stamped before installation....had to be.  Not sure how else that ink stamp got on there.  So must have gone thru a different process then what we see on the cowl which I assume was later during the assembly process.  Would be a nice detail to add to a car built around this time frame.

As mentioned in the undercarriage article and other threads at all plants there was at least two inspectors for paint. One on the line and one on the remote paint line where the individual parts that were not painted body color were located before they were sent to the car assembly line after they passed that inspectors look.  For San Jose and NJ plants and for 68 there would be the hood, headlight buckets and fenders on Mustangs that typically got inspector stamps from that inspector while the unibody inspector checked and typically stamped the cowl above the firewall to cowl pinch weld. Location on the cowl differed between San Jose and NJ which should not be a surprise

The inner fender stamp on the passenger side I don't recall seeing in the past but will scan through the collection in the miscellaneous section to see if I have something from NJ cars
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)