Author Topic: Found my original fender Emblem-Differences vs NOS (Pictures)  (Read 186 times)

Offline jtfx6552

I expected that the NOS part would be different, but the level of detail difference is astounding, at least to me.

So, question, could the original be re-chromed without losing the detail? Can the pins on the back be fixed?

1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Found my original fender Emblem-Differences vs NOS (Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 12:52:41 PM »
I expected that the NOS part would be different, but the level of detail difference is astounding, at least to me.

So, question, could the original be re-chromed without losing the detail? Can the pins on the back be fixed?
From your picture one is a C4 assemblyline part with the thin pins and the other a C8 service part with the thicker pins.They are two different parts. The NOS service C4 marked emblems and the assemblyline versions are the same part with the same definition typically. The C8 marked service part is a completely different part ,mold etc.  First off it will be expensive to have rechromed .I'm guessing 200-300.00 for the emblem. The pins will be very a problematic effort to fix. You can find used C4 emblems with pins intact but then you still have the re chrome price to contend with.
 On top of that when chrome plating old diecast many times but not always pits bubble up to the surface as a result of the process and you would be stuck with a less then perfect part at the end of the day. That is besides losing definition from the polishing process prior to plating.  NOS C4 versions are still out there and command 250-400.00 price tag each. I thought I would give you some observations for you to consider .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Found my original fender Emblem-Differences vs NOS (Pictures)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 03:20:59 PM »
I've had luck finding original with really nice chrome, needing only the paint details redone.

Just wanted to mention another possible option. They made plenty of them
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)