1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1969 Mustang

1969 coil springs

(1/4) > >>

mbyers:
Hello
I?m in process of restoring 69 Gt 500 vert and presently working on front suspension. I need some help on finding correct coil springs. My car has A/C and it?s my understanding that cars w a/c need higher rated spring vs non-a/c cars. None of reputable parts suppliers etc Napa, Eaton, CJ pony, open tracker carry that specific spring. 67-68 have different springs for a/c vs non a/c cars. Has anyone on forum run into this problem and if so how did you rectify it or where did you find correct spring?
Thx for your time
Matt

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: mbyers on March 18, 2024, 12:12:22 PM ---Hello
I?m in process of restoring 69 Gt 500 vert and presently working on front suspension. I need some help on finding correct coil springs. My car has A/C and it?s my understanding that cars w a/c need higher rated spring vs non-a/c cars. None of reputable parts suppliers etc Napa, Eaton, CJ pony, open tracker carry that specific spring. 67-68 have different springs for a/c vs non a/c cars. Has anyone on forum run into this problem and if so how did you rectify it or where did you find correct spring?
Thx for your time
Matt

--- End quote ---
I feel that you are overthinking the problem. There certainly are different part numbers for different FE Mustang/Shelby spring applications . It has my experience that there is little difference in ride height and feel between the A/C and non A/C big block coil springs. There is a reason why there are not more spring rate alternatives that companies like Eaton (not the OEM mfg btw) provide . In fact I am wondering why you think that you need to replace the ones on the car now? I also think that there are going to be plenty more restoration originality issues that will be more visibly noticeable then the nuance detail that you are inquiring about.

Bob Gaines:
Matt ,I should say that the forum stands ready to help with your restoration process questions.

krelboyne:
If you must replace your front springs, you should talk to Laura at ESPO. Should be 428CJ Competition Handling, if not Shelby specific, with your assorted options.

https://www.springsnthings.com/

RoyceP:
Typically front coil springs never wear out. If they are pitted replace them with originals that are not pitted. From my experience aftermarket coil springs are always too stiff and lift the front of the car too much.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version