Author Topic: 68 gt 500 front end assy  (Read 2351 times)

Offline cobra427

68 gt 500 front end assy
« on: July 13, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »
I am putting together my 68 Shelby front end, grill and rad, and the AC condenser that goes in front of the rad.  After 10 years of being apart, I want to make sure I put the right bolts in the right place.  I have found the big bucket of old bolts, and have cleaned them, just not sure where they all go. The next time I take something apart, I am going to put bolts in little bags and tape them to the stuff they came off of.  I found 2 plastic black covers, I think they go on the bottom of the condenser?

Does anyone have a picture of the front end?

Thanks
Gary 
Currently working on a 68 GT500 #00563  Build date 13 Feb 68 NJ car.

Gary Ross

Offline jwc66k

Re: 68 gt 500 front end assy
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »
A good portion of what you are looking for can be found in the 68 Osborn Assembly Manuals plus there is a 68 Shelby Assembly book available. Bagging and tagging is a good idea but when you go to clean up each individual screw, nut, washer, bolt and that weird looking wiget, you will go nuts. The best method is to identify each part by part number and document what you did and then bag it. Part numbers come from the above documents, part descriptions come from AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners. Don't forget to document head markings and finishes, sometimes the books are a bit off.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »
A good portion of what you are looking for can be found in the 68 Osborn Assembly Manuals plus there is a 68 Shelby Assembly book available. Bagging and tagging is a good idea but when you go to clean up each individual screw, nut, washer, bolt and that weird looking wiget, you will go nuts. The best method is to identify each part by part number and document what you did and then bag it. Part numbers come from the above documents, part descriptions come from AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners. Don't forget to document head markings and finishes, sometimes the books are a bit off.
Jim
What Jim said and that is the short version . A picture of the front end will not show the attaching fasteners in detail. Some of the Shelby books mentioned will have exploded views which are helpful. Many of us regularly refer to these illustrations ,bolt descriptions etc. The rest that is between the lines comes from personal experience . So there is no "here is everything you need" but the recommended books and manuals  will get you well on your way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 02:01:54 PM »
Bob expanded my post well -
Q - "All well and good, but I always make mistakes."
A - "You need experience."
Q - "How do you get experience?"
A - "Make a lot of mistakes."
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline cobra427

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »
Thanks for the quick replys,  I cleaned up a bunch of bolts and nuts already, now they are a dull silver, they don't look new like the one I see on most restored cars.  So do I just go out ont and buy the same type from AMK or use the dull original ones?

Gary 
Currently working on a 68 GT500 #00563  Build date 13 Feb 68 NJ car.

Gary Ross

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 03:34:33 PM »
Shiny suspension items are mostly clear (silver) zinc plated. (For reference, fender bolts are cadmimum plated.) You can get them done at a local "car friendly" plating shop for a $75-100 lot charge for 50-100 items. I have a lot of 140 at my platers right now. Most everything else is natural, painted or phosphated.
Jim