Author Topic: 67 steering wheel play  (Read 1315 times)

Offline socalgt

67 steering wheel play
« on: October 28, 2015, 07:47:59 PM »
I was able to reduce the play(as felt with the car not running)to about an inch(1/2'' each direction).  Would installing a rebuild steering box result in any less play, or  is there always  going  to be a small amount.  It appears to be quite a job to replace the steering box and I wouldn't want to do it for a negligible reduction in play.  The car has power steering and the one piece steering box..no rag joint.  I confirmed the play is not related to anything downstream of the steering box.  It's hard to remember how much play there was when these cars were new.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:16:45 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 steering wheel play
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 08:04:20 PM »
I was able to reduce the play(as felt with the car not running)to about an inch(1/2'' each direction).  Would installing a rebuild steering box result in any less play, or  is there always  going  to be a small amount.  It appears to be quite a job to replace the steering box and I wouldn't want to do it for a negligible reduction in play.  The car has power steering and the one piece steering box..no rag joint.  I confirmed the play is not related to anything downstream of the steering box.  It's hard to remember how much play there was when these cars were new.
Assuming that your diagnose is correct and the power control valve is perfect working order and your tie rods are not wore then the box is the culprit . It is typical that the box had to be rebuilt after nearly 50 years which is plenty of time for the grease to harden like clay and lose most of its lubricating ability allowing parts to wear. Yes you will see a positive differance. If you adjusted the box to take up the play the wear will only acellerate. If you want excuses to not do the difficult replacement/rebuild on the box you can disregard this post.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:16:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline socalgt

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 07:45:42 PM »
Am I correct that it is quite a job to remove the box out through the engine compartment?...from what I've seen on the internet it appears to be.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:17:12 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 08:19:35 PM »
Am I correct that it is quite a job to remove the box out through the engine compartment?...from what I've seen on the internet it appears to be.

Depends if you have the solid shaft or rag joint style (steering column). With the right tools the rag joint style could be out and on the floor (once the car is raised) in a few minutes. Four bolts and a nut is all that holds it in place.

IF it's a big block its going to be a little more of a challenge ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:23:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline E35Pilot

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »
It appears to be quite a job to replace the steering box and I wouldn't want to do it for a negligible reduction in play.

During this last year, I've been working on restoring the engine compartment of my mustang.  One of the disappointing issues when driving this car was the steering.  So when the engine was out, I went through all the steering and had the steering box rebuilt.  The car is driving now and the difference in handling is night and day.
The steering box was the main issue as everything else was in good condition and tight.  There will always be some play, but with a rebuilt steering box, driving the car is simply a pleasure and the confidence you have behind the wheel is, well, basically 10-fold. 
I believe these boxes can either be a four or five turn configuration and I'm no expert in knowing the difference, but you'll want to figure this out for your application.  Mine was a four-turn box.  Depending on your desire for originality, you may be able to have your box upgraded when rebuilt. 
I guess what I'm saying is, if you have the time and around $200 burning a hole in your pocket, don't hesitate....you'll be very happy with a rebuilt steering box.  It will make all the difference in driving your car.

Just my .2 cents.  Good luck.

1968 Mustang S-Code Convertible
Built: San Jose, CA, December 1, 1967