Author Topic: Correct Finish for March '65 Dearborn Convertible Top Frame?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Correct Finish for March '65 Dearborn Convertible Top Frame?
« on: September 03, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »
I'm restoring my '65 Mustang (March 30th build date, 1965, at Dearborn) convertible top frame, and I was wondering what the original finish was on the top frame itself.  Is it satin, semi-gloss, or gloss black?  Also, I vaguely remember seeing a sticker installed on the driver's side top latch handle.  It had something to do with the company that made the top, or where it was assembled, or something along those lines.  Can anyone confirm whether or not my car would've had this detail originally, and if so, is there a source for a replacement decal?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Correct Finish for March '65 Dearborn Convertible Top Frame?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:21:55 PM »
I had this picture from my collection over the years. I think you can get this decal from CJ Pony but not sure of correctness for 65.

Dave

65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »
I'm restoring my '65 Mustang (March 30th build date, 1965, at Dearborn) convertible top frame, and I was wondering what the original finish was on the top frame itself.  Is it satin, semi-gloss, or gloss black?  Also, I vaguely remember seeing a sticker installed on the driver's side top latch handle.  It had something to do with the company that made the top, or where it was assembled, or something along those lines.

Different plant/provider that supplied the subassembles

Can anyone confirm whether or not my car would've had this detail originally, and if so, is there a source for a replacement decal?

I've not seen that decal on a 65 but maybe others have - not really a convertible guy. Think I've only had a half dozen over the years. Too hot around here for them ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:33:04 PM »
I've only seen the decal on 68 and later cars.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 05:48:37 AM »
Is it satin, semi-gloss, or gloss black?
Satin Black (which is Semi-Gloss), my understanding is there may be variances between the sheen in the (semi) gloss from the external manufactures Ford used.
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn