Author Topic: October Dearborn Cowl to inner fender paint break?  (Read 2156 times)

Offline jtfx6552

October Dearborn Cowl to inner fender paint break?
« on: January 22, 2016, 03:04:08 PM »
Yes, roughly in line with the lip of the cowl.  If I had to guess, I would say San Jose used a cover of sorts that fit over the front to keep engine bay paint from getting on the exterior.

I tried the search, this is the closest thread I could find to the answer, although I'm sure someone will find a better one, lol.

Is the engine compartment paint over the body color paint? Or vice versa? I always thought it was the former, until I saw the attached picture in the assemby thread, looks to me like the body color went all the way up the outside of the inner fenders, and the only black on the outside of the inner fenders was the black overspray from spraying the front of the radiator support.

October 64, Dearborn, "hard" taped edge or soft edge?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:31:50 PM by J_Speegle »
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Dearborn Paint Break - Inner Fender at Cowl
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 04:10:57 PM »
Engine bay was painted after the exterior. 

There are varying spray patterns in the inner fenders depending on the assy plant.

In the Dearborn example, what they typically did was cover most of the body color with sound deadener...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:32:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 04:36:18 PM »
Is the engine compartment paint over the body color paint? Or vice versa? I always thought it was the former, until I saw the attached picture in the assemby thread, looks to me like the body color went all the way up the outside of the inner fenders, and the only black on the outside of the inner fenders was the black overspray from spraying the front of the radiator support.

Different plant and year. Might want to do a search for Dearborn front wheel wells ;) Information in this thread is for a different area, year and plant

October 64, Dearborn, "hard" taped edge or soft edge?

If your asking about the top of the inner fender on a Dearborn car. Normally sharp and sometimes finished with a brush of black paint if the painter didn't spray far enough rearward
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtfx6552

October Dearborn Cowl to inner fender paint break?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 07:58:56 PM »
Engine black on the top of body color, or vice versa?

If it was the same in October 64 as December 65, based on this thread, I think the former?

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8441
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: October Dearborn Cowl to inner fender paint break?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 09:25:30 PM »
Engine bay black painted after exterior.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 09:45:15 PM »
Any idea how they protected the exterior from engine bay overspray?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 10:06:04 PM »
If your asking about the top of the inner fender on a Dearborn car. Normally sharp and sometimes finished with a brush of black paint if the painter didn't spray far enough rearward

I actually have an example of that I'm happy to share. It's my '66 Dearborn coupe. While some of the black has faded away due to poor adhesion, you can clearly see the brush stokes from the black.

'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 10:13:33 PM »
I was going to add this to my last post but initially couldn't find the image. The previous photo I posted (if not obvious), was of the right inner fender/cowl. While disassembling the car I located a hand written note under the carpet on top of the passenger side front seat riser. I'm attaching the pic I found in my files of the note as I found it. I was able to pry it free from the tape seen. It appeared to be a hand written (inspectors?), note that pointed out a paint issue on the right cowl! You can see the digits 934 written on the top line. Guess what the last 4 digits are of the VIN? Check out the above pic! ;)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 10:15:35 PM by JKWilson »
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 10:40:23 PM »
Any idea how they protected the exterior from engine bay overspray?

No have never seen a picture of found a worker who could describe what they used. Would guess that it might have been a  one time use mask like the used for the dash, doors and a pillars or a large mask. Can't see using something flexible (large sheet or something like that) since it would built up a thick coat of paint quickly (sure you've seen the jewelry made from the overspray on posts in that section of the plant) and would still be wet when they tried to apply it to the new car.

At this point - I'm going with a one time mask :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 01:02:15 AM »
I was going to add this to my last post but initially couldn't find the image. The previous photo I posted (if not obvious), was of the right inner fender/cowl. While disassembling the car I located a hand written note under the carpet on top of the passenger side front seat riser. I'm attaching the pic I found in my files of the note as I found it. I was able to pry it free from the tape seen. It appeared to be a hand written (inspectors?), note that pointed out a paint issue on the right cowl! You can see the digits 934 written on the top line. Guess what the last 4 digits are of the VIN? Check out the above pic! ;)

Wow! Cool stuff.