Author Topic: 65 SJ fastback tail light harness routing  (Read 1444 times)

Offline e093116

65 SJ fastback tail light harness routing
« on: August 15, 2010, 05:25:41 PM »
I am wondering how the tail light harness is retained between the wheelwell and tail panel.

All of my reference material is unclear in this area and the only pre-teardown picture I have just has the wires laying on the back half of the wheelwell and then on the trunk floor over to the LH tail lamp assy.

I seem to recall that there were some tabs on the quarter panel in this area (like the ones integral to the tail panel top edge) on a 66 coupe I put together.  I replaced the LH quarter panel on my car and if these tabs are supposed to be there, they are missing from the reproduction sheetmetal and I didn't notice this difference previously...

Thanks in advance for the help.
65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 65 SJ fastback tail light harness routing
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:54:41 PM »
I'd be very surprised if there was a difference in factory methods.  Yes, there are tabs underneath the top of the quarterpanels that fold and hold the wires until they reach the driver's side tail light.  There should also be tabs at the top of the rear tail-light panel as well.  On my 66 FB from Metuchen, there is a hole for a plastic support within the weaving that goes into a panel just behind the uppermost part of the wheel well; that plastic support usually goes missing or broken after the first removal.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Vonzeek

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:41:55 PM »
THIS PICS ARE FROM A 65 SJ CAR ALSO.

Offline e093116

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 09:43:41 PM »
Thanks for the pictures.  Anyone know how many tabs there are or have a picture of the tabs on the inside of the quarter panel?

65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date