Author Topic: Metuchen convertible windshield frame, inside fenders and pumpkin paint?  (Read 664 times)

Offline Fullbasement

Working on a 66 Metuchen convertible.

1. Is the windshield frame painted the interior color on both the inside and outside surfaces?
2. Are inside surfaces of fenders and valences red oxide or black before any sound deadener?
3. I recall a past discussion on the difference in color between the red oxide undercarriage paint and the differential pumpkin. Was the pumpkin more red compared to the undercarriage which tended more brown? Or the other way around?
1966 Metuchen built C-code coupe
    Vintage burgandy/black top & interior
1966 Metuchen built C-code convertible
    Candyapple Red/ black top/ red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Working on a 66 Metuchen convertible.

1. Is the windshield frame painted the interior color on both the inside and outside surfaces?

At least at other plants in 66 interior paint can be found on the face of the window frame around the window opening on three of the four sides.  Would have been painted over when the exterior color was applied to most of the paint application on the exterior side and covered up by the weatherstrip  anyway so really doesn't matter in the final product

2. Are inside surfaces of fenders and valences red oxide or black before any sound deadener?

Those individual panels would have been painted with a red oxide primer then light grey primer surfacer then either direct or indirect application of body color ( as it makes sense with the focus on a good full coat on the visible surfaces). Then and only after they were installed on the car and everything else was installed as the sound deadener applied. The back side did not always get a coat of sound deadener and valances (upper and lower along with other parts in the general area) could get a little or a spot of it on them in logical locations in the process of applying it to the inner fender panels and the firewall section and foot well visible in the front wheel well

3. I recall a past discussion on the difference in color between the red oxide undercarriage paint and the differential pumpkin. Was the pumpkin more red compared to the undercarriage which tended more brown? Or the other way around?

Considering you building a 66 NJ car in general I've found the color applied to the floors to be more of a muddy red than the stronger red used on the third member. Both with a decent smooth somewhat glossy look before the exterior body (for the floor pan) paint application which dulled down the surfaces or coated them closer to the rocker or rear wheel well opening
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Fullbasement

Thanks Jeff,

My car is a red interior and candy apple red exterior, so after all these ear and repaints it was hard to tell which red I was looking at on the windshield frame.

So on the fenders and valences, I'd do right to give the back sides a full coat of red oxide with only slight over spray of gray that I assume was only directed towards the exterior surfaces?
1966 Metuchen built C-code coupe
    Vintage burgandy/black top & interior
1966 Metuchen built C-code convertible
    Candyapple Red/ black top/ red interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
My car is a red interior and candy apple red exterior, so after all these ear and repaints it was hard to tell which red I was looking at on the windshield frame.

Yes can be difficult to make things out when looking at combinations without much contrast between the two.

Don't have any nice tear down pictures of that area of a 66 NJ car but what I've found at San Jose in 66 is that the wrapped the mask (for the A pillar) so that a slight edge of the interior remained around the opening of the windshield on two or three sides of the opening.

As shown in the picture below

Because that edge doesn't show on the final finished car it might not be a concerning detail for some car owners
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
So on the fenders and valences, I'd do right to give the back sides a full coat of red oxide with only slight over spray of gray that I assume was only directed towards the exterior surfaces?

You have appear to have the general idea of what took place. I've found it difficult to describe and demonstrate how these area turned out since most of even the nicest cars were not well maintained in that area, often got covered with undercoating and sometimes sound deadener. Any cleaning removes the lighter overspray and your looking for something in a typical range rather than an exact amount of paint and or overspray.

In an attempt to show to the members I offer the following

This is an example of a fender that got allot of exterior color applied indirectly and directly to the back side.
The blue areas would have been the direction of application to make sure edges and visible surfaces got a nice coat. The green arrows would have been the pockets or shadows hidden from most of the paint. Difficult to see in an example where the exterior color and the red oxide isn't greatly different

The other end - same arrow indications

Back side of the valance with the shadows produced when painting this car/ Red arrows indicate where there is likely an unseen shadow from the lip that can't be seen from this angle

Later example showing a light but fairly consistent coat on the back side

Later car but this (though cleaned off allot) shows the affect of the painter painting the fender lip and in turn the paint was applied to the top of the headlight bucket area.

And my final example. This is the same car from two different sides. One the first very little overspray made its way to the back side of the headlight bucket area

While on the back side of this fender you can see the misty affect of the Ivy Gold application creating a chalkier final look to the same surface

Jeff Speegle