Author Topic: What tool is used to install the rubber 1968 firewall insulation retainer  (Read 1123 times)

Offline RoyceP

I spent quite a lot of time marking cutouts on my reproduction molded firewall pad. Used a set of old leatherworking upholstery punches to make the cutouts, they turned out great.

Glued it in place using contact cement. Have the fuse panel in place too. What I cannot seem to figure out is how to install the little rubber plugs without tearing them up. What sot of tool and technique works for this?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:43:29 PM by J_Speegle »
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline ruppstang

I put some silicone lubricant on it and use a small blunt punch in side of it then push it through. Do not push too hard or the punch will tear through. Some one on the out side pulling will help too.

Offline RoyceP

Thanks I will try that!

I put some silicone lubricant on it and use a small blunt punch in side of it then push it through. Do not push too hard or the punch will tear through. Some one on the out side pulling will help too.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Changed the heading since early cars used metal ones ;)

Sometimes I've used a blunt small wood dowel or I have a couple of hand tools that have a bunt end but I've also just started them in the holes then gently pulled the tips, which stretched them out so they would pass though the firewall holes then when released they expand,  grab and hold. Found that easier for me to do by myself
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)