Author Topic: Automatic Clutch/friction plates questions  (Read 814 times)

Offline Blues Power

Automatic Clutch/friction plates questions
« on: October 13, 2020, 04:11:18 PM »
would anyone know at aprox. what point the industry shifted over from the old style plates that required Type F to the new style that require Dextron

My FMX was rebuilt in 1990. (which seems like yesterday to me)

time for a flush and fill and I was wondering if I still need type F or not.

Offline RoyceP

Re: Automatic Clutch/friction plates questions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 04:53:56 PM »
So far as I know there was no change over. If the transmission required Type F then it requires Type F now.

would anyone know at aprox. what point the industry shifted over from the old style plates that required Type F to the new style that require Dextron

My FMX was rebuilt in 1990. (which seems like yesterday to me)

time for a flush and fill and I was wondering if I still need type F or not.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Blues Power

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 12:00:31 PM »
not necessarily true. Only the original clutch packs that came from Ford require Type F
Ford changed over to Type H in 81 and Mercon in 87  The FMX was discontinued by 1977

Once the original supply of Ford packs were depleted I would assume by mid 80s it was all aftermarket-with modern clutch materials and friction plates

by the late 80s most if not all of the earlier Mustang FMX were already rebuilt using aftermarket packs

im trying to find out at aprox what date it was all after market which uses Mercon

since mine was overhauled in 1990 i may be in the clear

only other choice i have is to have a shop drop the pan and VB and take a peak at the meterial

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »
The Ford Type "F" fluid is used in transmissions designed to use it. It has not one thing to do with the material of the clutches or seals. I rebuild transmissions - there is a lot of misinformation out there that mostly stems from laziness of transmission shops to stock more than one kind of fluid. Use Type F if the transmission was designed for it. The friction material is designed to work in your transmission with the proper type of fluid.

Type F has less friction modifiers than other types of fluid. Using more slippery fluid will result in premature failure of your transmission.

not necessarily true. Only the original clutch packs that came from Ford require Type F
Ford changed over to Type H in 81 and Mercon in 87  The FMX was discontinued by 1977

Once the original supply of Ford packs were depleted I would assume by mid 80s it was all aftermarket-with modern clutch materials and friction plates

by the late 80s most if not all of the earlier Mustang FMX were already rebuilt using aftermarket packs

im trying to find out at aprox what date it was all after market which uses Mercon

since mine was overhauled in 1990 i may be in the clear

only other choice i have is to have a shop drop the pan and VB and take a peak at the meterial
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Blues Power

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 04:16:30 PM »
Thanks appreciate your comments and experience

I just checked the last receipts and Mercon in in there now.

i guess for the price of a $50 case of Type F im going to just drain it out and be safe

questions now is

i have a drain plug in the pan. One smart thing i did 30 years ago :)

do you think if i drop whats in the pan, start it up, fill it and drop it a few times thats enough to get most of the Mercon out

Id imagine some will be left over but not enough to cause any issues

then for good measure some time after 500 miles do it once more time

Thx

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:21:28 PM by Blues Power »

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 04:48:46 PM »
don't forget to drain the converter and the cooler lines. i'd let it drain allnight if possible.
5F09C331248