Author Topic: Reproduction Vaccum Advance Diaphragm -  (Read 1622 times)

Offline jwc66k

Reproduction Vaccum Advance Diaphragm -
« on: November 24, 2020, 03:13:42 PM »
The diaphragm came in late Monday, so I got to its "evaluation" today. The sales pitch in the e-bay ad is carefully worded so there is no way to say it's not as advertised.
Here's The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly -
Good:
- It's shiny.
- It will fit.
- It will hold a vacuum - 24 inches (several "pulls"). The movement of the internal arm at maximum advance is about 5/16 inch; the movement at 10 inches vacuum is about 1/8 inch.
- It won't break if you drop it.
Bad:
- It is not adjustable; no Allen wrench down the tube like the other DD-190 replacement; no access for spring, stop or spacers.
- The vacuum hose "fitting" is part of the hex.
Ugly:
- I don't know if it would work on a daily driver.
Potentials:
It looks like the hex protrusion is solid, so it may be possible to machine the "fitting" off and drill and tap for a 5/8-18 thread for either of the adapters (see above).
Comments:
Why didn't the supplier have the correct 5/8-18 threads tapped in the hex, and drill the rest of the way down for installation of spring, stop and spacers?
My use:
I have a new, shiny Christmas Tree ornament.
Note:
I made no reference to the original e-bay listing as it will disappear - soon. I took no pictures as the diaphragm is not acceptable for general use.
Jim
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:41:17 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Reroduction Vaccum Advance Diaphragm -
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 03:41:07 PM »
The diaphragm came in late Monday, so I got to its "evaluation" today. The sales pitch in the e-bay ad is carefully worded so there is no way to say it's not as advertised.
Here's The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly -
Good:
- It's shiny.
- It will fit.
- It will hold a vacuum - 24 inches (several "pulls"). The movement of the internal arm at maximum advance is about 5/16 inch; the movement at 10 inches vacuum is about 1/8 inch.
- It won't break if you drop it.
Bad:
- It is not adjustable; no Allen wrench down the tube like the other DD-190 replacement; no access for spring, stop or spacers.
- The vacuum hose "fitting" is part of the hex.
Ugly:
- I don't know if it would work on a daily driver.
Potentials:
It looks like the hex protrusion is solid, so it may be possible to machine the "fitting" off and drill and tap for a 5/8-18 thread for either of the adapters (see above).
Comments:
Why didn't the supplier have the correct 5/8-18 threads tapped in the hex, and drill the rest of the way down for installation of spring, stop and spacers?
My use:
I have a new, shiny Christmas Tree ornament.
Note:
I made no reference to the original e-bay listing as it will disappear - soon. I took no pictures as the diaphragm is not acceptable for general use.
Jim
Thank you for the report and taking one for the team.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Reroduction Vaccum Advance Diaphragm -
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 03:58:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Brian Conway

Re: Reproduction Vaccum Advance Diaphragm -
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 12:42:47 PM »
Very through revue thank you for taking the time.  Unclear what the ' UGLY ' comment means ?  You didn't install and test drive it ?  Anyway, it seems. for $25 you get a better looking vac ad or x-mas tree ornament.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 03:50:02 PM »
Unclear what the ' UGLY ' comment means ? 
That's in reference to - "Will it work". Do you know how many setup variations there are for spacers, stops and springs for this type diaphragm? A lot. This one has no provisions for setup. Use may get "ugly" - full advance or nothing.
You didn't install and test drive it ? 
"K" Mustangs don't use one, and, applying the old adage - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" -  both my "A" code Mustangs runs fine.
- it seems. for $25 you get a better looking vac ad or x-mas tree ornament. 
The point is that it may take several glasses of Cabernet to tell the lurid back story of that "thing hanging over there". That query in itself, makes a great wine sipping tale.
(In waiting for next month's X-Mas tree, the diaphragm is hanging on a leaf of a very old split leaf Philodendron in my living room.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 05:22:26 PM »
Well I don't drink wine so no commiserating there.  This journey started with , just noticed, my A code carb secondaries are not opening.  Newly installed C5GF-A distributor and mystery vacuum advance are now under scrutiny.  As you alluded to there are many set-ups possible for the vac ad and was just trying to narrow the field. Thanks for your help.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »
Well I don't drink wine so no commiserating there.  This journey started with , just noticed, my A code carb secondaries are not opening. 
There's your problem right there - and the possible solution - fermented grape juice (incentive, not for cleaning).
Vacuum secondaries are actuated by a passage in the carburetor top, the bar that goes across the top of the secondaries, getting the "pull" to open from the primary, to give a nudge to the secondary diaphram. There's a check ball in the passage. That passage and its check ball are often loaded with "varnish", reluctantly provided with every fill up, that gums up everything. That's your starting point. Naturally, the secondary diaphragm could be the problem too.
Jim

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 07:27:17 PM »
X-Mass ornament in waiting.
Jm

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 08:31:49 PM »
, just noticed, my A code carb secondaries are not opening. 
A copy of the 4100 carburetor illustration is attached. The top cover is 9524, the check ball is 9576.
Newly installed C5GF-A distributor and mystery vacuum advance are now under scrutiny. 
This "should not" affect your carburetor secondaries.
Jim

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 11:07:13 PM »
It’s a Scott drake part so the quality level is what we all expect.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 12:02:35 AM »
It’s a Scott drake part so the quality level is what we all expect.
I don't know if your comment is sarcasm or factual. The diaphragm I have is not even good enough to be a paperweight.
Jim

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 10:08:36 AM »
Exactly what I would expect. You are lucky if a part from them doesn't burst into flames unexpectedly from my experience.

I don't know if your comment is sarcasm or factual. The diaphragm I have is not even good enough to be a paperweight.
Jim
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline 10w30dna

• Tim O'Connor Distributor Restoration
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 06:18:54 PM »
I offer exact restored vacuum advances for most all of the early Fords. True that most repo units leave a lot to be desired and I have been active in the distributor restoration service for years.  Only getting back into that service a little at a time though.....
Tim O’Connor
44 years as Ford dealer technician,retired.Favorite toys:'67 Fairlane drag race car. 10.40 @ 129 mph 1.40 60 ft. Current resto project: '68 Shelby GT 350 conv w/Paxton Supercharger .