Author Topic: power steering on 271hp  (Read 892 times)

Offline cwm777

power steering on 271hp
« on: May 03, 2021, 02:54:42 PM »
COULD YOU ORDER APOWER STEERING ON A 65-66 271HP MUSTANG ???

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: power steering on 271hp
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 03:10:49 PM »
COULD YOU ORDER APOWER STEERING ON A 65-66 271HP MUSTANG ???

It was not a factory option.  If someone was persistent and willing to pay, they could have had a Ford dealer install it, although the pulley setup would not have been the same as a regular 289 with p/s (due to larger balancer on a hipo).

Generally, unless there is day 1 documentation that shows the dealer installed it as a new car, it would not be acceptable from an authenticity perspective.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 04:20:16 PM »
Agree the answer is no it couldn't be ordered.  Never seen one with it with the claim nor documentation of it being done by a dealer. Only buyers I thing might have even considered power steering on an otherwise performance car would be someone that ordered an automatic 66 K code - but again I've not seen or heard of one in all these decades
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 06:22:43 PM »
Agree the answer is no it couldn't be ordered.  Never seen one with it with the claim nor documentation of it being done by a dealer. Only buyers I thing might have even considered power steering on an otherwise performance car would be someone that ordered an automatic 66 K code - but again I've not seen or heard of one in all these decades
May I remind you that a 66 GT K Convertible was used in a MCA judging seminar held in the late Bruce Cunningham's garage that had dealer installed power steering. (Bruce and Rich did most of the restoration, the car belonged to G. Adcock. The picture is from the 1998 Mustang brochure.)
And then there's 6S2377 with A/C. Not assembly line, but -
If it weren't for exception, we would not have any fun.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 07:01:44 PM »
May I remind you that a 66 GT K Convertible was used in a MCA judging seminar held in the late Bruce Cunningham's garage that had dealer installed power steering. (Bruce and Rich did most of the restoration, the car belonged to G. Adcock. The picture is from the 1998 Mustang brochure.)
And then there's 6S2377 with A/C. Not assembly line, but -
If it weren't for exception, we would not have any fun.
Jim
The 66 GT350 convertibles had to get a special build variance approved by Ford so that the A/C could be installed and covered under warranty
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 07:29:02 PM »
The 66 GT350 convertibles had to get a special build variance approved by Ford so that the A/C could be installed and covered under warranty
The original question was about power steering and its associated pulleys (and belts). The 6S2377 example was for A/C as an add-on and I have to assume that it has the same type of situation about pulleys (and belts).
As to a warranty, Shelby did swap carburetors and exhaust systems, so how were they covered?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 12:04:11 AM »
The original question was about power steering and its associated pulleys (and belts). The 6S2377 example was for A/C as an add-on and I have to assume that it has the same type of situation about pulleys (and belts).
As to a warranty, Shelby did swap carburetors and exhaust systems, so how were they covered?
Jim
Yes in your example you brought up the AC and I added to the conversation because of it. Out of the ordinary options require out of the ordinary pull by the powers to be.  FYI Shelby added the AC on those 4 convertibles at the end of 66 GT 350 production not Ford. There was a special crank pulley that had to be made so that everything else would line up when using the thicker hipo balancer. Warranty on Shelby added items just like regular Ford installed items for 4,000 miles or 90 days.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby