Author Topic: Are these 1969 Factory Disc Brake Rotors?  (Read 468 times)

Offline QKSLVER

Are these 1969 Factory Disc Brake Rotors?
« on: March 14, 2022, 11:01:16 PM »
Folks, can anyone tell me if these are the original factory disc rotors that would have been used in the San Jose assembly plant, for a 1969 Mustang built on or about July 10, 1969.  If they are, how do you properly remove the hat, and where can you buy the replacement pieces to restore them?  Thank you!
1969 Mustang Mach 1 w/390
1984 Saleen Mustang Clone
2006 Shelby GT350 Concept Vehicle

Offline KevinK

Re: Are these 1969 Factory Disc Brake Rotors?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 11:05:33 PM »
Press out the wheel studs to remove the hub. Kind of what's the point. The hub rarely goes bad.
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline QKSLVER

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 11:10:03 PM »
The rotors are at the minimum thickness now, so I figure they should be replaced.  However, as the saying goes, anything worth doing is worth doing concours.  So I would want to to retain the two-piece design, if possible.   :)
1969 Mustang Mach 1 w/390
1984 Saleen Mustang Clone
2006 Shelby GT350 Concept Vehicle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 12:04:13 AM »
The rotors are at the minimum thickness now, so I figure they should be replaced.  However, as the saying goes, anything worth doing is worth doing concours.  So I would want to to retain the two-piece design, if possible.   :)
This subject comes up every month or so and sorry to say there is no easy button solution that I have found. The threaded studs hold the rotor disc or hat to the hub. You have to be press out the studs. It is extremely hard to find that rotor disc. The disc portion are the same 68-73 . Expect to pay 450.00 - 750.00 for a pair or even more depending on if older after market stock vs made for Ford. In the later service parts case they were the same thing. The most important main visual indicator is that it is two piece and the disc does not have any cut outs like 65-67.There are some nuance differences but unless you are being thoroughbred judged they are lost on the 99% majority and are typically invisible once installed. chockostang had some 2pc rotor and hub discs for sale on ebay but a quick check doesn't show any so maybe they sold all that they had. It is worth a phone call IMO. They were the only ones that I have seen for sale in over a year. Like i said very hard to find now.  Your other choice of course is the one piece style.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 12:35:08 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 12:33:31 AM »
I would also warn you when trying to source the rotor disc that many companies like OReilly's, Napa and others online might show a generic picture of a one piece disc but when you order it and it arrives and it is a one piece disc and hub assembly. I and others have been stung before. It is a hassle to argue your point and most will take it back but you have to pay shipping. They are heavy and shipping to send back is not cheap .  I suppose they think you will not care and think you are getting more for your money with the one piece. Just be careful and ask questions before you buy. I hope you have better luck then I.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby