Author Topic: AC Line Picture needed!!  (Read 576 times)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
AC Line Picture needed!!
« on: March 11, 2022, 05:55:59 PM »
I have an issue as usual, I bought the new A/C lines for this 68 KR with air.  One line they sent will not work, it needs a 90 turn to clear the smog tube.  I am sure they had to do this,  The original lines had been removed years ago.  One, I would like a picture of what is correct and two if anyone has a set of nice original hoses I would be interested.  Thanks for any help!  Here is a picture of a 90. is the the one?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 06:26:16 PM by J_Speegle »
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: AC Line Picture needed!!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 06:38:00 PM »
Will go through the 68 big block examples I have top see what I can help with. Most so far are not using a 90 degree but in some cases its hard to tell original hoses from replacement ones. Will see what I can find while others should provide the same.

Invite those that can help with parts to PM you.

Good luck with the search
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 06:56:24 PM »
Thanks Jeff! 
MCA#31064

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 07:37:37 PM »
I have an issue as usual, I bought the new A/C lines for this 68 KR with air.  One line they sent will not work, it needs a 90 turn to clear the smog tube.  I am sure they had to do this,  The original lines had been removed years ago.  One, I would like a picture of what is correct and two if anyone has a set of nice original hoses I would be interested.  Thanks for any help!  Here is a picture of a 90. is the the one?
That is a correct part but it is for the compressor end of the hoses . That part connects just past the sight glass. The original hoses are the same BB or SB. The bend you need is made into the hose itself on a original . You will have to attach a made up part to the made up repro hose. Surely the repro provider you got the hoses from has come across the problem before.  Remember 67/68 hoses have flair fittings and 69/70 have O ring fittings. I don't know much about the repro A/C hoses because I don't use them or advise using them because they look so different from original. I know originals are hard to find and sometimes you have to do what you have to do to finish a job. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 08:36:42 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 07:40:48 PM »
I have a original pair of hoses but I am at least a month away from cleaning them up and replating them . If you haven't found anything usable by then drop me a line .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Armond

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 08:30:54 PM »
Thanks Bob!
MCA#31064

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 06:13:36 PM »
Same end and hose as other applications that year. Guess it was cheaper for them to just make and stock one version. Plenty of room for a J code but needed for the big blocks

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline preaction

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 04:58:05 PM »
A little brighter view.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Armond

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 03:03:11 AM »
Thanks for the pictures!  Last night I was on the Cobra Jet forum and stumbled on this picture showing a good example, I am sure they varied. Thanks again for the help.  This car had all the AC ripped out of it so I started from scratch!!

MCA#31064

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 11:57:19 AM »
Thanks for the pictures!  Last night I was on the Cobra Jet forum and stumbled on this picture showing a good example, I am sure they varied. Thanks again for the help.  This car had all the AC ripped out of it so I started from scratch!!
The picture you posted has the factory like properly applied insulating sticky foam tape around the the expansion valve and hose ends. The other posted picture does not. The expansion valve needs to be insulated or the system will not perform properly. It would be a deduction in concours if the tape was missing for example.

Offline preaction

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 04:55:32 PM »
Since all of the parts I used in the pictured system were assembly line especiallly the metering valve and R12 refrigerant I got the system up and operating well before applying the insulating tape, just something to consider. 
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 08:22:38 PM »
If you want just the 90 deg. hard end and can have someone crimp on the soft line let me know.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Armond

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2022, 03:16:06 PM »
I have it all dialed in, I have a roll of the sticky crap.   I am not going to install it until I know it holds vacuum and it takes a charge.  Thanks for the help!
MCA#31064