Author Topic: San Jose tie rod adjusting sleeves question  (Read 569 times)

Offline 69supercj

San Jose tie rod adjusting sleeves question
« on: July 14, 2022, 09:52:35 AM »
Working on the steering on the SCJ and was detailing the adjusting sleeves and noticed that mine had lock washers and according to what I've read they should have locknuts. So I went to my parts stash and found a couple sets of tie rods and they both had locknuts so I'm gonna swap them out. My question though is the bolt. Mine had fine threads with a RSC stamped into 3 of them and the fourth one had an A. Same with the others except that they were a coarse thread. Any idea as to what would be correct?

Offline rockhouse66

Re: San Jose tie rod adjusting sleeves question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 03:44:04 PM »
Unfortunately the only relevant picture I have from the 3/69 built SJ SCJ car I had is from the wrong side  :(   Looks like a TR head marking on the bolt though.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 10:22:05 PM by rockhouse66 »
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 07:11:18 PM »
Would normally start out with when the car was completed now that you provided where it was built but see from you very first post on the site that you have a Feb 69 built San Jose Mustang. Is that correct?

Looking through my pictures I on;y found, at this point, the locking nuts versions. Not to say that there was not a second supplier that used the washers but that secondary supplier may have provided a much smaller percentage of parts compared to the self locking version and its tough to prove things at this point without more examples from the same time period since the supply would be date focused IMHO. Kind of focused on the Jan - April 1969 period for this discussion as far as pictures

Jan completed examples with self locking nuts

Eamples from April (likely) built cars

As for head markings, sorry these were not cleaned and made fresh but you can make out the three lines at least in this example from Jan 69

Jan 69 examples

April 1969 examples

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69supercj

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 09:28:15 PM »
Yes Jeff its a Feb.14th built car. I believe the RSC and A markings to be correct just because of the simple fact that I've got 3 different sets of adjusting sleeves from various cars parted out over the years and they have the same markings on them. Would be too much of a coincidence otherwise I would think. And 2 sets were fine thread and one was coarse thread.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 12:07:58 AM »
Yes Jeff its a Feb.14th built car. I believe the RSC and A markings to be correct just because of the simple fact that I've got 3 different sets of adjusting sleeves from various cars parted out over the years and they have the same markings on them. Would be too much of a coincidence otherwise I would think. And 2 sets were fine thread and one was coarse thread.

So you have only parted out 69's from San Jose or could these be from other years, plants or time periods.

You have to make the best choice for your project. I can only offer what I've found and can document.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69supercj

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 12:37:27 AM »
I have no idea as to the assembly plants on the cars I've parted. Have you seen both fine and coarse threads on these by chance?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 12:39:28 AM »
I have no idea as to the assembly plants on the cars I've parted. Have you seen both fine and coarse threads on these by chance?

Different years and plants though vast majority have been fine. In addition to other details

Of course there is a mix of aftermarket, replacements and NOS/Service parts that get mixed in any searches that is why we look for multiples and hold the orphans at arms length. Standard practice has evolved to a minimum of three examples from same plant and production period just to have some standard
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 12:41:31 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Aussiemach

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 06:11:49 AM »
San Jose Feb 26
1969 Mach 1 351w FMX Built in San Jose, February 26 1969

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2022, 12:01:55 PM »
San Jose Feb 26

Thank you for trying to help however I would submit that if unless you can not provide a picture that can show if fine threads or course and or the head markings that and in the context of the OP's question - you are wasting your time. ;) At least it shows a alternative lock nut.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2022, 02:42:45 PM »
The picture above is another confirmation of the style of nut used (self locking) was was mentioned in the original posting. So its at least another data point on that detail.  :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 04:59:26 PM »
For 1969 should be coarse thread....I dont think you see original cars with fine thread anymore at this point.  Hardware in question I have detailed here on page 36 - click the link:

https://secureservercdn.net/198.71.233.167/xnm.126.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/65_to_73_suspension_guide_v2.4aopt.pdf

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline Daven

• 1969 Mustang Mach I. 9R02R107xxx
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 02:39:03 AM »
Amazing work on the detail writeups on the suspension parts Marcus!  I looked over the glass etching and hold down brackets as well.  Do you need more quarter glass samples for the 1969?  My glass is like the 67-68 style, but it is dated 8H. 

Dave

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2022, 03:09:48 AM »
Thanks Dave.  Im good on the glass etching samples and information I put together for now. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations