Author Topic: hood paint detail  (Read 4403 times)

Offline 1970shelbyguy

hood paint detail
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:29:28 PM »
hi jeff  seen your old notes on hood paint detailing but still need  some direction please-  i have painted some of the smaller items for car- body color-   laid on a couple coats grabber blue on top of hood -  wondering what kind of semi black for underside of hood .  would eng bay blk be the correct blk  dplf90 seems to be the choice- correct me if i'm off base of that   - i know about the "soft"  1" paint line.  fenders are ready for blue too.   is the top lip of lower stone guard painted blk . i know the inside area is blk. along with the  turn signal pockets.   also is cowl area to be painted blk ( above the firewall to cowl pinchwelds- where shock tower braces bolt to cowl)  it's a june 19/69 production   did expose blue when I stripped car but eng bay had been painted blk  2or 3 times since new - how about the forward center scoop in hood ?- blk inside i suppose  thanks  david
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: hood paint detail
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:18:26 AM »
hi jeff  seen your old notes on hood paint detailing but still need  some direction please-  i have painted some of the smaller items for car- body color-   laid on a couple coats grabber blue on top of hood -  wondering what kind of semi black for underside of hood .  would eng bay blk be the correct blk  dplf90 seems to be the choice- correct me if i'm off base of that   - i know about the "soft"  1" paint line.

The black used appears to have been as flat as the engine compartment black or even (depending on what you have seen) a little flatter IMHO. As long as there is not a reflection in the paint you should be in the neighborhood

........ .... is the top lip of lower stone guard painted blk . i know the inside area is blk. along with the  turn signal pockets. 

Not the lip as it comes up the front and travels back across the top towards the radiator but the top surface of the stone guard/front valance where it could be viewed from the top when the hood is open

Remember that the blackout on the turn signal pockets are a progressive angled transition  from the outer upper corner to the front edge of the inside diagonal support

........  also is cowl area to be painted blk ( above the firewall to cowl pinchwelds- where shock tower braces bolt to cowl)  it's a june19/69 production   did expose blue when I stripped car but eng bay had been painted blk  2or 3 times since new - how about the forward center scoop in hood ?- blk inside i suppose  thanks  david

On a June 69 built Dearborn car we would expect to see the surface of the cowl above the firewall pinch weld to be blacked out with engine compartment black.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:21:49 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:49:52 AM »
thankyou jeff for the answers-  i remember the blk jade gt350 had black out around the pockets too.- wasn't sure about the top lip of  valence--   by the way  what kind of bolt was used to attach the trunk lid to the hinges - and were they painted  body color -   thanks  david

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 10:50:43 PM »
............  by the way  what kind of bolt was used to attach the trunk lid to the hinges - and were they painted  body color -   thanks  david

They appear to be the normal Mustang trnk lid bolt with the large washer on them

Seem to find most of them painted while others have reported one per side. Sound not have a problem either way (likely Bob or Ed will spring in here  with their observations ;)

Believe they were in place on the trunk hinge ends to keep the insert in place and the painter did not always run the paint up to the end of the arm that would be hidden inside the trunk lid once installed
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 01:07:58 AM »
They appear to be the normal Mustang trnk lid bolt with the large washer on them

Seem to find most of them painted while others have reported one per side. Sound not have a problem either way (likely Bob or Ed will spring in here  with their observations ;)

Believe they were in place on the trunk hinge ends to keep the insert in place and the painter did not always run the paint up to the end of the arm that would be hidden inside the trunk lid once installed
I have mostly seen the wide washer painted and the small washer unpainted . The way it was explained to me many moons ago is that a bolt was left in during the painting process(wide washer ) to hold the nut insert and  the other bolt was added at AO Smith when the trunklid attached and adjusted.With that said I have seen other variations to this pattern. The large painted washer and unpainted smaller one is the way I have seen most prevalent in my observations. Bob
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:10:09 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 03:04:10 AM »
thanks bob and jeff for the reply  another piece of the puzzle cleared up  ( a bit! )

Offline specialed

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 11:39:05 AM »
The metal decklids were lefton 69 shelbys when they left dearborn to ionia to keep trunk dry from snow and rain and removed along with roller tires and sent back . I still have a decklid left and they simply put tread tape over holes for mustang letters to keep rain out of trunk. There were some of these left-over decklids floating around detroit years ago.

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:26:22 AM »
took a few pics of the 1969 shelby gt500 survivor at barrett jackson  sold for 80K i believe-  reached underneath stanchion  for lower front frame rail pic- looked like a blue green color ( sealer i suppose)  good pic of gray on fender edge. also one of hood blk out border

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 12:48:26 AM »
took a few pics of the 1969 shelby gt500 survivor at barrett jackson  sold for 80K i believe-  reached underneath stanchion  for lower front frame rail pic- looked like a blue green color ( sealer i suppose)  good pic of gray on fender edge. also one of hood blk out border
The blue green color is the slop (batch paint) paint color of the under carriage. It shade varied from batch to batch. It was used on the Dearborn line that the Shelby's and Boss cars went down on. The floor pans are similar .Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:58:14 AM »
The batch/slop color being used so far forward is odd (read not typical) on 69 Dearborn cars but it has been seen during some production period. Anyone have the VIN of the car so we can compare the time period to others?
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 01:11:16 AM »
The batch/slop color being used so far forward is odd (read not typical) on 69 Dearborn cars but it has been seen during some production period. Anyone have the VIN of the car so we can compare the time period to others?
I have seen it before and most likely is a production variation. I agree it is not typical .  I hope i can dig up the pictures I took of it when it sold at the Kansas City Meacum auction in 2010 and determine the VIN. Bob