Author Topic: Care and Restoration of Cardboard Diffuser on the Heater Box  (Read 2006 times)

Offline MWM

Hello,
I have an original cardboard diffuser that attaches to the heater box.  I am afraid that storing in my garage may have caused it to wilt a tad bit.  In the area at the top with the two circular outlets, is there any way to reshape this so it will make a complete circle again?  Also, what do you recommend for cleaning?
Thank you!

Offline jwc66k

Re: Care and Restoration of Cardboard Diffuser on the Heater Box
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:09:10 AM »
Because the plenum (the official name) is made from paper, you can get it damp enough, maybe you can put it back into its original shape, note "maybe". Remove the plenum from the heater, there are four screws, two front, two back, and the defroster control cable to undo. Find a couple of cans or jars that will slide inside the two defroster openings and reform the ports to fit the defroster duct. This will take a couple of sessions to work the material so have patience. A spray bottle with water works well. Remember it took a long time to "wilt" so be careful. Be creative. Try some string, electrical tape, long narrow metal strips bent at the end taped to the cans or jars held upside down and let gravity pull the "wilt" out.
When you are satisfied with the results, or have gone as far as you dare, spray clear semi-gloss paint (Eastwood Diamond finish) to seal the material and stiffen it. You might consider giving the two duct outlets (located under the speaker grill) the same spray treatment. The ducts are held in by clips which can be squeezed together to release the outlets and the ducting.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
Have used Elmer's or similar paper or (better) wood glue to reshape and hold these in the past - rather than the clear. It also help even out the color of the surface that often becomes modeled and splotchy over the years
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:55:09 AM »
  Try using steam to soften and reshape it. Will do less damage than water and will dry much faster.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline MWM

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 09:41:12 PM »
mgmradio,
I am intrigued by the use of steam.  Before I try the water route, what device did you use to get ample amount of steam to shape?
Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:00:52 PM »
A tea kettle is best or the modern version , but a pan of boiling water will work. Have also used a steam iron in a pinch.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:27:45 PM »
Never thought of steam but I did use hot water in a spray bottle to soften the paper to pull one of the defroster ports back into shape.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.