Author Topic: C4 Transmission numbers 64.5  (Read 1392 times)

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
C4 Transmission numbers 64.5
« on: October 05, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »
 Way back in 1979 I bought this 64 1/2 Mustang. It's an April built Dearborn car. I bought it with a bad transmission. I pulled it out and had it rebuilt, because even back then, I cared about keeping the original components. I tore the car down, and put Ford quarters, and new floor pans in, then let it sit. The car has been an on again, off again project all these years, way way back burner! I've built, driven, and sold many cars in between.
 With the 50th coming up, I have decided to try to get it finished. When I bought it, it was original, even had the original paint. All the dates on the engine are right for the build date, and I always thought that the trans was original too... until now.

In wiping the dust off, and preparing to do the cosmetics on my tranny that was rebuilt 34 years ago, I discovered these numbers: 9H209896

Am I looking at a trans out of a 1969 Lorain built car??? If so, wouldn't it have the wrong valve body for the shift pattern on a 64 1/2? Do I need to use a different transmission? (I have a 65 SJ built parts car). I am pretty sure the 5 and six bolt bells swap out right? Is this a partial vin? Or am I just freaking out :)

Here is a pic:

Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline jwc66k

Re: C4 Transmission numbers 64.5
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 07:06:24 PM »
And to add insult to injury, Lorain built Econoliners, but you may have a jewel if the servo cover (RH side, about 6 inches in dia.) has a "C" or a "H" cast into it.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 12:35:32 AM »
Yes its from a later car - and yes that is a partial VIN from the donor car.

If your just looking at something that will fit and work you need to check the linkage on the side to determine if its set up for floor or column shift.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:04:13 AM »
Yes its from a later car - and yes that is a partial VIN from the donor car.

If your just looking at something that will fit and work you need to check the linkage on the side to determine if its set up for floor or column shift.

It was installed in the car when I bought it, so the linkage is correct. I saw nothing unusual when I removed it. The problem with it was that after it warmed up, it only had reverse.

It also has a long vibration dampener?? on the tail shaft housing that I haven't seen before. Is that correct for an early car, or part of the 69 trans??

My goal is to make the car as correct as possible, not just fit and work. Your input is appreciated!

Charlie

And to add insult to injury, Lorain built Econoliners, but you may have a jewel if the servo cover (RH side, about 6 inches in dia.) has a "C" or a "H" cast into it.
Jim

The little bit of research i have done on Lorain showed that they also built Fairlaines during the 1969 model year. I'm curious though about your "Jewel" comment, Jim. What would be special about the servo cover trans you described???

Wish I was home to look at it, but I'm working in California right now. Actually heading to San Diego for the Mustang show today!

Charlie
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 Jalapeño Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp