Author Topic: Hood Damage at Hinges  (Read 1316 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Hood Damage at Hinges
« on: December 18, 2013, 01:12:35 AM »
The Hood on my car opened while transporting it. It didn't open hard but bent the Drivers Side never-the-less. It also created a pimple, for lack of another word; possibly from the hinge bolt and two mounting nuts shifted. Has anyone had experience with this and whether or not the Hood can be repaired?

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline jwc66k

Re: Hood Damage at Hinges
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
A good body shop 'may' be able to fix the hood. As to the staked nuts, I've had to tack weld two on the passenger's side of one of my cars due to a front end collision. The hinge covered the engine compartment side, additional fender well insulation covered the outside.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »
Try and locate one of the no paint dent repairers in your area. The nut can be removed, the metal reworked (on the inner fender area) then a new light coat in that area of sound deedener should reproduce the original look - minus the dirt and dust ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline koski19

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »
Ray,
My hood had the same problem. Found that the nuts where loose and when the bolt was installed it went in tight. I removed the bolts, took a tap to clean up the threads in the nuts. I then tacked the nuts to the inner fender, then tested the bolts and they all screwed in nicely. I'll use sound deadener to recreate the look later. The hood can be repaired. I'll send some photos to you later today.

Jeff

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:33:32 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I appreciate that!
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A