Author Topic: Emissions Control System - 1966 Six Cylinder  (Read 1754 times)

Offline TFrancis

Emissions Control System - 1966 Six Cylinder
« on: January 11, 2014, 06:24:34 PM »
1966 Coupe w/ 200 I6 and 3 speed manual transmission.  San Jose car with scheduled build date of January 1966.  Originally delivered to Southern California.  The car has the Thermactor emissions control system installed on it.  In the factory assembly manual reprint, it shows the valve for the emissions system attached to the passenger side of the engine (bracket is mounted to the block between the exhaust manifold and the alternator).  On ours, it is on the driver's side (mounted right next to where the coil is mounted).  My dad has owned the car since 1969.  To the best of his knowledge, it's always been on the driver's side.  Is this something Ford changed at some point in the process? Can't say I've seen another I6 with smog pump to compare it against.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Emissions Control System - 1966 Six Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:39:04 PM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find the information here helpful in your endeavors

Thanks for including when and where the car was built - helps with getting to an answer

I'm guessing when you mention "valve" your referring to the backfire valve in the system.

Not sure what the Assembly manual shows (there are mistakes in the drawings and info contained on some pages)  but here is what and how they were built. Basically if the drawing shows it on the passenger side its mistaken and that page was likely redrawn and replaced after the one we have was published

Here are a shots of  few San Jose T codes from 66 (have plenty more but this should do it

First two pictures are from a car where the distribution plumbing has been removed

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TFrancis

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 11:02:41 PM »
Jeff,

I have lurked for a while and already have found this sight extremely helpful.

Thank you for the pictures.  That is exactly what ours looks like.  Any chance you could provide a picture of the other side of the engine, specifically where the heater hose connects to the block? Ours had an elbow fitting and then a piece of copper (?) tubing with a 90 degree bend in it.  It's corroded and leaking and I haven't found a proper replacement anywhere.  Curious to know if it came from the factory with the elbow and tubing or if that was added after the fact.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 01:58:06 AM »
........... Any chance you could provide a picture of the other side of the engine, specifically where the heater hose connects to the block? Ours had an elbow fitting and then a piece of copper (?) tubing with a 90 degree bend in it.  It's corroded and leaking and I haven't found a proper replacement anywhere.  Curious to know if it came from the factory with the elbow and tubing or if that was added after the fact.

This help ;) - same two cars. First car - like above- is missing the distribution tubes so its easier to see the heater hose connection

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TFrancis

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:43:11 PM »
Once again, thank you.  That was exactly what I was looking for.

Now all I have to do is figure out where I can get the fitting/tubing. 

Thanks again.