Author Topic: Auto Shifter Handle Spring  (Read 633 times)

Offline Angela

Auto Shifter Handle Spring
« on: March 22, 2015, 04:00:08 PM »
Is there really supposed to be a spring inside the shift handle for either the std console or deluxe handle? NPD still carries NOS springs for this application. However, when I put the spring in, the button sticks and doesn't fully disengage the linkage from park. Without the spring it works fine, it's just that the button doesn't always return quickly. I've yet to take an unmolested handle apart to find this spring present, yet am confused since NOS springs exist for this particular application.

If this spring truly is supposed to be present, how do you guys get the handle/button to function properly? I've tried a couple different springs with several different original used and repro handles and haven't yet found a single combination that worked properly.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Auto Shifter Handle Spring
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:16:19 PM »
I have never found a spring in any shifter handle that I have taken apart. Disassembled dozens of them 1967-73, the only spring is on the end of the cable.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Angela

Re: Auto Shifter Handle Spring
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 05:40:51 PM »
I, too, haven't yet found this spring when taking apart original shift handles. However, the spring comes with repro handles AND is available NOS from NPD page 174 of their latest catalog PN 7B488-2. Confusing....