Author Topic: insulator sleeve  (Read 2891 times)

Offline martin

insulator sleeve
« on: February 28, 2016, 05:25:56 AM »
I am looking for the correct insulator sleeve material.
This material is used on the wiring for the hood signal lights on my 69 mustang. It is located in front of the radiator. I assume it is original.

Hope someone knows a supplier for this material
69 mach 1 390 toploader
built at San Jose Oct-25-1968

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: insulator sleeve
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 02:12:32 PM »
How did you get that off over one end or the other?
Is it completely split?
There's some expandable sleeve on the market today as well as split sleeve.
Better than replacing your harness with an entire repro assembly.
Alloy Metal harnesses are the best mass market for Mustang, closer to original than Mr. Mustang sold thru Scott Drake.
Not all of the components available back in the day to construct harnesses still exist.
Lots of people have commented on the fact that harnesses advertised as an exact reproduction certainly aren't.
I don't know of any niche manufacturers making it perfect for other than vintage vehicles.
Narragansett and Doug Seybold come to mind.
Anyway, you could try this stretchy sleeve or split sleeve
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Braided-black-flex-expandable-1-2-wire-loom-sleeve-sheathing-Harley-others-/260862356821?hash=item3cbc9bad55:m:mXatWxunMmQpIaVsRCtPaPA&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Black-Ultra-Split-Wrap-Wire-Loom-1-Foot-sleeve-accessory-protective-12v-/151662019914?hash=item234fc2c54a:g:81YAAOSwqu9VPRxs&vxp=mtr
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 03:31:34 PM »
Just going by the look; same as the choke tube insulator wrap ?  If so it is asbestos and not reproduced or available.  Just a guess.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 04:22:49 PM »
If it's cotton (try burning a few small fibers, or examine the fibers under a microscope), search for "cotton tubing" - it's used by antique radio restorers and others.

One supplier:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/product1178.html

They have other sizes, and you can find it from other suppliers.

For high temperature applications, a number of companies make braided fiberglass and braided ceramic sheath, which would be a functional alternative to asbestos. Mansfield and others include insulating sleeve in their choke heat kits.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 05:00:21 PM »
This is a tar/cotton product. There is an exact version providing the inside diameter is about 1/4". Dead nuts sells it for use on door lock rods for 69-70 vehicles. which I used on my '67 GT500 for the anti-rattle insulation. I think I may have a small length left here somewhere if you want to see a picture for reference.
                                                                                                -Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 05:22:50 PM »
This material is used on the wiring for the hood signal lights on my 69 mustang. It is located in front of the radiator. I assume it is original.

Odd description "in front of the radiator"  I recall this material around the wire loom leading up from the cowl to the hood as its back edge.

Yes its the darker stuff. Can be purchased in bulk but doubt that you will want that much., Try the suppliers that others have provided first
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline martin

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 02:21:09 PM »
It is this wiring harness

This hookes into the front light harness. So it is laying in front of the radiator.

At the picture you also see the insulator sleeve. This picture is from Kentucky.mustang

The material deadnutson sells looks to be the right material, thanks for the link. I will contact them.

Kind regards, Martin
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:42:20 PM by martin »
69 mach 1 390 toploader

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 05:37:07 PM »
Ok now I see that you were not looking for the hood scoop turn indicator wiring but the connection between it and the main loom. Two different wire looms. Basically a two wire loom (one wire for each side) and no ground that runs down the drivers side of the engine compartment to the radiator support on cars with that option

Both made by Alloy and sold through allot of shops and some individuals
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 12:47:18 AM »
Martin,
I had to improvise on the door rods from the latch to the inside door handle. Kar makes a set of reproductions, but they use some yellow nylon material and they are about 85.00 for the set. Scott Drake also offers the Kar set. I sent my rods out for silver cad plating and used the insulators. Ford use exactly the insulation I showed you. I contacted Dead Nuts to let them know so they could market it for use on the latch rods, but the guy was less than enthusiastic. You're welcome for ingenious use of your product and another way to market and sell said product..
Anyway, the '67 vehicles use the same product on the wire for the license plate lamp. It comes with a butt splice because to change the insulator you would have to cut the wire. It's a metal tube style, not the typical plastic butt splice. You'll have to cut the wire and do the same if you choose to change the insulation. 
                                                                                         -Keith

Offline martin

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 05:34:50 PM »
Thanks for all the information !!

I found a supplier nearby, I live in the Netherlands. I ordered this material
http://histoparts.com/nl/webshop/stroom-kabels-en-toebehoren/bitumen-mantel-buis/product___4329-35105___bitumen-mantel-kous-5-mm-inwendig.html
Looks to be the same as deadnutson supplies. There was already a soldered cut in the wiring so i can replace the old sleeve easy.

Martin
69 mach 1 390 toploader

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 11:59:37 PM »
Great to hear.  Always try to help.