Author Topic: 1969 red oxide  (Read 1253 times)

Offline m.b.spuur

1969 red oxide
« on: December 28, 2016, 04:19:57 PM »
hello. when i was cleaning the inner fender, than i could see under the rustprotection around the shock tower it was painted blue aztec aqua like the car was from the factory. and under the car was it painted red oxide, i was thinking they was used the red oxide around the engine compartment like i have been seen on the other cars
butt why they have been painted my blue around th engine compartment

1969 F code coupé
San José
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:58:34 PM by m.b.spuur »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 red oxide
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:07:50 PM »
Can you confirm that you cars actual completion date was April 1?  So the vin would be around 9R01F180xxx?

The finding of red oxide on the floor is interesting and no where typical for that plant and year.  But with that said I do have a couple of other examples from that same time period and plant so your "oddity" lines up with others for a mini-trend

The body color forward is not that unusual but its not typical. Its thought that either the regular painted just got sloppy and wasted additional paint where it would end up being hidden/covered by the black front wheelwell area. Or it was a fill-in guy who hadn't gotten the clear instruction to not waste time, effort and $$$s on those surfaces.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline m.b.spuur

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:20:33 PM »
I have the dor tag here. And its matching the Numbers in the car 😊

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
Thanks Now to try and figure out when yours and the other red oxide floor cars were really completed :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline m.b.spuur

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 08:43:06 PM »
Butt i dont know how i Would paint it. Im thinking about too paint it red oxide under the engine compartment and after paint it Black in the sides of the engine Room. And let it be red oxide Down under 😊

Painted red oxide under the car Like On the picture😊

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 08:54:12 PM »
Butt i dont know how i Would paint it. Im thinking about too paint it red oxide under the engine compartment and after paint it Black in the sides of the engine Room. And let it be red oxide Down under 😊

Painted red oxide under the car Like On the picture😊

Originally there would typically not be much red oxide in the engine compartment on every last panel for full coverage. If you add thick primer it will muddy the panel details and reduce the crispness of welds, dates and edges

The bottom of the frame and any of the odd facing down pockets and brackets (bottom edge of lower a arm mount, bottom of sway bar brackets. bottom of strut rod braces...) as well as the bottom of the frame and face of the front cross member would have been  red oxide while the firewall, all the visible from above and reachable panels and surfaces would have been black as would have been the face of the radiator support, face of the front cross member and the wheel well (including in the shock tower) from radiator support to the cowl and where the splash shield attaches. Often some of this paint comes off in cleaning or where its very thin up and in the top of the shock tower (often bare steel)
Jeff Speegle