Author Topic: 67 289 Power Steering Adjuster Bracket  (Read 410 times)

Offline garciacg

67 289 Power Steering Adjuster Bracket
« on: July 10, 2019, 02:09:38 PM »
Hello!  I'm new to the forum and in the middle of a stock 289 engine build w/PS and w/TE.  I've learned so much from all of you so far, but today I've come across something that I don't know if is a problem or not re: the power steering adjuster bracket.  With the adjuster bracket installed on the water pump and the pump bracket installed on the head (including the 1/2" washer), there is ~1/8" gap between the adjuster bracket and the pump bracket prior to tightening the lock nut (see attached pics).   I can tighten it all up just fine, but I'm concerned that this might torque the power steering pump and pulley slightly out of alignment.   So the first question is whether or not this much of a gap is an issue?  All other pulleys (crank, water pump, alternator and smog pump) align just fine.

As far as I can deduce, the only variables could be the dimensions of the timing cover, water pump or adjuster bracket that would position the adjuster bracket that far away from the pump bracket.

The timing cover is original to the car, so that is not likely the culprit.  The water pump is an aftermarket, however I've measured the thickness where the adjuster bracket attaches to the pump (~13/16") and it is the same as the original C6OE-A core that I have (and will eventually rebuild).  So that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Since the other pulleys line up fine, this supports the notion that the timing cover and water pump thicknesses aren't an issue. So that leaves me with the adjuster bracket itself.  So I clamped the adjust bracket to my workbench and took measurements of the distance between the mating surface of the water pump and power steering pump bracket (~2-5/16").   Does anyone have a bracket they could similarly measure and let me know the results?

I believe this bracket is original to the car when I purchased it in 1974.   But I did discover during this build that the PS pump (rebuilt ~20 years ago) had an incorrect pulley on it.  So it's possible something else got changed too.  The shop installed an AC pulley when it should have been 7AE but I've since remedied that.   For years I've wondered why that belt rode so low in the groove!   Now I know.   I may have just answered my own question....I've been running this setup for ~20 years and it hasn't thrown a belt or cause abnormal wear.   I just rebuilt the pump and confirmed that the shaft had virtually no wear.

And yes... I will be painting the adjuster bracket black  :)

Thanks so much in advance!
Craig

'67 GTA Fastback - San Jose - 7R02A198XXX

Body: 63A
Color: Dark Moss Green
Interior: Ivy Gold Standard Bucket Seats
Scheduled Build : 4/13/1967 (Actual Build 4/11/1967)
DSO:  72
Axle:  3.00:1
Transmission:  C-4

My first car... owned since 1974.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 289 Power Steering Adjuster Bracket
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find the information and support helpful in your concours related endeavors

Looking at other original cars I don't see that your missing anything and I don't believe that the 1/8" static difference is an issue once the bracket is pulled into the pump. The long anchor with the cast bracket and non AC spacers will be the governing measurement that should assure (within limits) the final alignment and limiter of things. IMHO any light amount of torque from the thin steel bracket will be over come by the long anchor bolt.

Others may have a different thought or angle on the subject so lets see

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 04:30:07 PM »
Check out Jeff's post here:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11230.msg67346#msg67346

The thin rear support will net you a small amount. Your pics don't show the entire installation.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline garciacg

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 04:47:05 PM »
Thanks Jeff and Bill.   I don't have the indexing bracket that shows up in Jeff's pictures, but I do have the second nut on the pump outlet.  The bracket was likely lost on that last rebuild.   I'll go with what I have for the time being.

Thanks,
Craig
'67 GTA Fastback - San Jose - 7R02A198XXX

Body: 63A
Color: Dark Moss Green
Interior: Ivy Gold Standard Bucket Seats
Scheduled Build : 4/13/1967 (Actual Build 4/11/1967)
DSO:  72
Axle:  3.00:1
Transmission:  C-4

My first car... owned since 1974.