Author Topic: New Seat Upholstery  (Read 1120 times)

Offline ninedrvr

New Seat Upholstery
« on: September 18, 2020, 01:25:19 PM »
It is time to start planning for the seats and I need some advice. The car is a convertible so the upholstery may take a bit of a beating from the sun. I went with Mustang Market on the door panels and while I had to send one back to be recovered, I am optimistic that my problem is isolated because the other panel is gorgeous. They also sell seat upholstery but I haven't found any feedback on their 69 high back offerings. Anybody have any experience with their seat covers?

I have read positive and negative reviews about both TMI and Distinctive Industries seat covers. Issues like color mismatch and overall vinyl strength make me wonder whether the SMS Fabrics route is warranted. Is the expanded vinyl really that much better? Also, what is the best source for seat foam?

Any experiences would be helpful.

Jim

#Update#

I sent away for fabric samples from SMS and Mustang Market. I need to see whether there is such a big difference.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 01:02:37 PM by ninedrvr »
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: New Seat Upholstery
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 07:09:32 PM »
The  major difference over the years has been the comfort weave or better described I guess as the fake comfort weave. TMI or Distinctive have choose a lower price point and level or product to stay competitive for those that don't know or don't care unless something has changed

Don't know that I've ever seen a set of seats with Mustang Market covers on them but we don't often ask.

Remember to colored highlight/bar in the fold down section of the bucket seats ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 07:44:38 PM »
The repro comfort weave is where a impression is pressed into the vinyl sheet. It is solid. No air can go through it.  The real comfortweave is a weave and air moves through it . You can see a distinct difference when you look at examples of each because of the open weave on the genuine.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Steve.chatman

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 12:45:15 AM »
Is there someone out there that has a quality reproduction of the comfort weave?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 01:01:21 AM »
Is there someone out there that has a quality reproduction of the comfort weave?
If you mean by quality one that is made like original then the answer is no. Only the embossed type material is available aftermarket made up into kits.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby