Author Topic: Build dates smog pump  (Read 917 times)

Offline cob428

Build dates smog pump
« on: June 30, 2021, 09:06:58 AM »
June 20 ,69 build. I have a smog pump with a Late feb,69 build date is that acceptable or should I find something closer to April/May or
June
Concourse Wantabe
69 GT 500 Built Dearborn 06/69
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Build dates smog pump
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 03:20:48 PM »
When was the engine assembled or some of the casting dates of original engine parts since that should be the comparison in this situation I believe
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cob428

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 06:38:14 PM »
engine build date 91E
Gear box 9e10
spindles 9d21
water pump 9e5

thanks, Pete
Concourse Wantabe
69 GT 500 Built Dearborn 06/69
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 11:50:25 PM »
Don't have allot of pump dates recorded nor pictures of that detail with a car VIN. Just a very few and none are five or six months out. Not to say that it "could not happen" IMHO its likely that it didn't/ Other may have a different opinion :)

There are owners that might grind and restamp  or contact one of the people rebuilding the pumps and see if they have a better dated housing available how ever you need to work that out.

Not sure how visible it wil be once installed (don't have a picture in front of me at the moment) but you'll know so make an educated choice
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 12:06:39 AM »
The date code is visible however if you are wanting the most authentic representation then given the other dates you gave it should be closer in the same range but prior to the engine assembly date. The dates are only a consideration at the highest levels of concours divisions . If you are not going for the division where genuine original correct dated tires,battery belts etc. are required then the correctly dated smog pump is over kill. If concours competition doesn't matter and you just want a more accurate representation then you know the general dates to be looking for .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby