Author Topic: Valve cover bolts  (Read 454 times)

Offline dkknab

Valve cover bolts
« on: March 29, 2022, 02:39:58 PM »
It appears in my searching valve cover bolts are not painted blue in a 289 Sprint B. Is that correct? For the most part the ones I had originally on my car were mostly painted blue.  I had the incorrect chrome valve covers that I've since replaced with the proper blue covers.  All my bolts are now blue.  What is correct?

I understand the valve covers were painted blue when the engine was painted.  How did they keep the covers on when painting of there were no bolts installed? Or were there a few bolts installed to hold down the covers and the wire brackets?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 02:47:40 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Valve cover bolts
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 08:06:34 PM »
It's typical to see a mix of painted/unpainted.  I don't see why a Sprint B option would have any affect on that detail over any other 289 built during the same time.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 12:16:34 AM »
The general rule of the thumb is if the V-8 engine is painted blue with the valve covers on, then the bolts are blue. The major exceptions: chrome valve coves as a factory "option" (aka HP engines) then all the bolts are cad (or dull zinc as a close replacement) plated; sometimes the wiring J-clip bolts are cad plated on blue engines. (1965 V-8 Engines are black.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 02:28:19 PM »
It's typical to see a mix of painted/unpainted.  I don't see why a Sprint B option would have any affect on that detail over any other 289 built during the same time.
Charles is correct: it is typical to see a mix of painted and unpainted per each valve cover. I have seen too many unrestored mustangs to say all valve cover bolts were painted. I am sure Jeff has plenty of pictures confirming this as well.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 03:46:20 PM »
I understand from an older post on the concours site mentioning the top outside bolts were installed when the valve covers and engine were painted meaning the bottom 3 bolts were probably most of the time not painted. I did also see some pictures on unrestored cars to that effect.

Mine are all blue all the way around.  Should I at least have the bottom 3 unpainted or at the end of the day it really doesn't matter? I don't see any mention of these bolts specifically in the MCA judging sheet for concours driven cars.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 05:35:42 PM »
I understand from an older post on the concours site mentioning the top outside bolts were installed when the valve covers and engine were painted meaning the bottom 3 bolts were probably most of the time not painted. I did also see some pictures on unrestored cars to that effect.

Mine are all blue all the way around.  Should I at least have the bottom 3 unpainted or at the end of the day it really doesn't matter? I don't see any mention of these bolts specifically in the MCA judging sheet for concours driven cars.
You did not take into account the numerous photos on this forum of the exhaust manifolds of small blocks with blue over spray. That is a good sign that the lower bolts were painted.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 07:52:22 PM »
But were the lower bolts actually in place when the engine was painted? The overspray could definitely have hit the exhaust manifolds but is there any info or evidence about the valve cover bolts being in place at that time? Does anyone really know that answer?)
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 08:04:00 PM »
i believe that the unrestored pics already prove that point decisively.
5F09C331248

Offline dkknab

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 08:28:27 PM »
Here's the bottom line.  What say our judges? Will there be a deduction for bolts all not blue or not?
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 09:01:13 PM »
yes a deduct for all blue or all natural. there must be a mix.
5F09C331248