Author Topic: Coil spring upper steel locator  (Read 817 times)

Offline MarkIV

Coil spring upper steel locator
« on: February 28, 2022, 07:58:55 PM »
I replaced the coil springs in my 64 1/2 convertible and on the passenger side a stamped steel locator with 3 downward fingers came out with the rubber insulator.
There was not one on the driver side. I talked to a friend about it & he thought they were supposed to be welded in. I was wondering if perhaps 64 1/2 was not welded. And why is it only on one side.
Mark

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Coil spring upper steel locator
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 10:52:52 PM »
Guess your asking about a Dearborn car???? Maybe not

There was an earlier thread on the subject with a few pictures of the part as found separate and not welded to the body
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline MarkIV

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 11:24:26 AM »
Yes it is a Dearborn car.

Offline MarkIV

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 11:35:10 AM »
I tried searching but can't find it.
Thanks anyway

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 05:56:12 PM »
Tried also. No telling what the terms use for them by the poster were used

Here is the picture of the plates they shared

Jeff Speegle

Offline MarkIV

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 09:32:39 AM »
Thanks for the photo. That's exactly what I was referring to. I only have one so it looks like I need to find another. Mark

Offline dennis111

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 08:44:27 AM »
Tried also. No telling what the terms use for them by the poster were used

Here is the picture of the plates they shared

I recently stumbled up these on a Dearborn 65 (and never saw another car that used them.) 

Are they a factory add-on due to the car having a 289 with AC and PS or, more from a mechanical standpoint, are they required to support the spring as something else wasn't originally attached to support the spring?   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 05:29:06 PM »
I recently stumbled up these on a Dearborn 65 (and never saw another car that used them.) 

Are they a factory add-on due to the car having a 289 with AC and PS or, more from a mechanical standpoint, are they required to support the spring as something else wasn't originally attached to support the spring?

Up to this point we don't know. Don't believe anyone has found a listing for a Ford part number, them illustrated/included in a factory drawing nor have we found an engineer that worded at Ford at that time that can identify them
Jeff Speegle

Offline dennis111

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 08:36:46 PM »
Thank You Jeff.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 01:48:45 PM »
Just a thought...maybe they were deployed to address an out-of-level condition...only one was installed when there was a side-to-side out-of-level condition...two were installed when there was a front-to-back issue.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 05:10:34 PM »
Just a thought...maybe they were deployed to address an out-of-level condition...only one was installed when there was a side-to-side out-of-level condition...two were installed when there was a front-to-back issue.

Interesting idea but haven't heard of this test being made on every Ford built.  Especially for and aft in the examples with two
Jeff Speegle

Offline dennis111

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2022, 10:37:27 PM »

My car has them on both sides. Like others have found, there are no markings whatsoever on them.  It's a March 65' built Dearborn V8 convertible with factory PS, AC, and a C4.  The car would have been on the heavy side with much of the weight bias being on the front.  The only reason (theory) that I could think of for using them was to help offset the weight on the front of the car. 

Perhaps this info might someday help to solve the mystery of their original usage.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 10:42:05 PM by dennis111 »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 12:48:06 AM »
My car has them on both sides. Like others have found, there are no markings whatsoever on them.  It's a March 65' built Dearborn V8 convertible with factory PS, AC, and a C4.  The car would have been on the heavy side with much of the weight bias being on the front.  The only reason (theory) that I could think of for using them was to help offset the weight on the front of the car. 

Perhaps this info might someday help to solve the mystery of their original usage.
The answer lies in two places. First: The 1964-65 Mustang Chassis Assembly Manual (AM0005 pgs 7,8 and 70) where it is identified as Ford base number 3A365 on pages 7 and 8, and Ford assembly line part number C4DA-3A365-A on page 70 as a "shim".
Second: The 1968 edition of "Ford Car Parts" (aka MPC), Illustration section 30, page 2, magically and mysteriously changes the assembly line suspension part number to a service stock number in the spring classification, C4DZ-5355-A. If you look up C4DZ-5355-A in the text section it says look in the spring charts for application.
Still with me?
The uses with springs are mainly for convertibles with certain "options": A/C and P/S and smog (66); convertibles with the 289 HP and smog (66); some HP engines.
I made a quick look for Falcon use but there wasn't any.
Books are your friends. Please learn to use them.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.