Author Topic: 67 Running Changes Main Thread - Metuchen/NJ Findings  (Read 521 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
67 Running Changes Main Thread - Metuchen/NJ Findings
« on: February 07, 2023, 12:22:07 AM »
So here is another Running Changes thread this time focused on 67 Metuchen Mustangs. We'll follow the same post, discuss  (if need be if it belongs), add to the list, then delete the suggestion to keep the thread compact and up to date as much as possible.  So post what you understand was affected by running changes and I'll keep an ongoing list here in the first post. Some of these will likely match other plants fairly close and some items will list the dates from the TSB and other supporting documents also as we have elsewhere.  From there we'll collect data, assemble the first report and see how it works.

To keep the thread from getting too long or out of hand please don't post that you found this version or that on car 7T02C2345xx (for example). We can save that for the research period and for the individual change threads. Just trying to identify the features during this first effort. Will break out the findings by plant of course.  Hope we can work through other plants also.

Many of these running changes will be shared with the other two plants while others were possibly done on different days due to difference in supply, inventory or other issues.

Drivetrain

Engine

E1- 289 Exhaust manifold to engine hardware -

E2- 390 Valve cover design differences -

E3- 289 Valve spring issue - Might be better described as a fix or problem on engines between Dec 9 1966 and Jan 23 1967

E4- 289 Distributor housing - Change from FoMoCo cast to AUTOLITE casting logos

E5-

E6-

Transmission

TR1- 289 K code manual transmission - Change from RUG-BX to RUG-N1 version

TR2-

TR3-

TR4-

Rearend

R1- 8" Oil fill location Transition third members without a fill plug to ones with a fill plug. Since this is not solely a San Jose details we will also
       link the other two plant running change threads once established.
      https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=27469.new#new

R2- 9" Oil fill location
       Transition third members without a fill plug to ones with a fill plug. Going to use this to solely focus on the date change
       at the casting plant and the thread below for the location and comparison for both fill locations. Since this is not solely a San Jose details we will
       also link the other two plant running change threads once established.
       https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=27468.new#new

Transition from in the rearend housing (facing rearward) to being located in the removable third member

R3-

R4-

R5-

Engine Compartment

EC1- Radiator support attachment hole - Currently without looking deeply, and without looking at real build dates yet to be between VINs 7T21248x and 7T24113x

EC2- Windshield washer reservoir -

EC3- 390 Thermactor system filter location -

EC4- Hood turn indicator bezel/insert changes - Addition of sealant between grill land body. Changed/added during November 1967 all plants according to TBS #1217

EC5- Engine vacuum reservoir style and location -

EC6- Brake line routing at steering column area -

EC7- Service specification decal - Current change from 66 style to the 67 style

EC8- Horn date code markings - Change took place where the style of marking the date on horns changed from a white ink stamp to having the date stamped into the metal horn housing.

Exterior

EX1- Hood substructure differences - Versions with round holes verses those without this feature
       http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5026.60

EX2- Rear valance screws - Please designate head type and location since these were installed at two different points in the assembly line

EX3- Door hinge style change -

EX4- Cowl Panel Access Holes - Earlier cars had round access holes on the outer ends of the cowl panel but these were eliminated in later production.

EX5- Rear door glass seal/gasket - Change of shape/design of this rear rubber seal at the rear door opening to rear edge of the door glass stainless. MPC lists that the change took place
       on 12/15/66

EX6-Roof rail weather strip for coupe body style -  1969 MPC list a change took place 9/22/67 when the part & number was changed C7ZZ-6551222-A & C7ZZ-6551223-A to
       C7ZZ-6551222-B & C7ZZ-6551223-B No details of the change are available as of yet.

EX7- Rear Valance - Discussion started here from a couple of posts originally posted to this thread

EX8- Windshield washer nozzles - Change from single orifice with cad or zinc plating to dual orifice nozzle plated in a dark bronze coloring.

EX9-

Interior

I1- Bucket seat track plate design change -  Separate plate design to plates attached to the stud track section

I2- Deluxe bucket seat trim attachment - Change from a version using four screws for attachment to an "improved" five screw version.

I3- Fastback rear quarter panel covers and latch cover plate - Change from early version without trim plate at fold down latch

I4- Fastback trap door upper trim - Change from the earlier version where the trim strip was attached using threaded studs to a version where three visible, from the interior, held the strip to the trap door.

I5- Driver's side air vent - Change from metal to plastic design

I6- Interior seat insert material changes -

I7- Interior choke knob design - On K code optioned cars a change from the 66 style choke knob with the white "C" in the center of the knob to a version with no "C"

I8- Deluxe interior door panel inserts - Change from the brushed aluminum from a beaded forward edge that followed the edge to a later non-beaded froward edge that curled around the upper corner edge of the door panel

I9- Interior day and night mirror -

I10-

Trunk

T1- Driver's side trunk filler board - Change from masonite/fiber board to cardboard style.

T2- Fastback Only - Trap door arm hook - Change from slotted hook to single arm style

T3-

T4-

Undercarriage

U1- Fuel line routing - Inner (down the driveline tunnel) verses outer (routing along the drivers side rocker panel)

U2- Main floor pan/panel reinforcement design change -

U3- Disc brake caliper design changes - Not a specific thread on  San Jose or a survey but does describe the differences and some possibilities of the change over period

U4- Battery tray reinforcement - Spot welded to bottom side of the forward passenger side inner fender panel there was change from a narrow and a wide version of this reinforcement plate

U5-

U6-

Last Updated - 2/6/2023
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)