Author Topic: 1970 Styled Steel Wheel Details  (Read 1611 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
1970 Styled Steel Wheel Details
« on: March 05, 2014, 11:27:59 PM »
Was doing some work cleaning a styled steel wheel today and thought I would take and post some pictures for members and future members here

A couple of examples of the wheels in this discussion

And if your into Cougars ;) for 1971

Paint marks applied to this particular wheel - rear side of wheel
Yellow and white. Rim painted black on the rear side and the rim where the tire will cover. A dark Charcoal/Gray on the face surface

Up close

Stamping/Identifications on the rim
  Lots of them ;)

Back Side

At Valve Stem Hole
Appears to be the date of March 30, 1970

On/Around  Rim

One Long Stamping - From Left to Right

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:18:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline nham3407

Re: 1970 Styled Steel Wheel Details
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:10:59 AM »
Jeff,
I did not think they offered that wheel in 71?  I am restoring my 72 sport wheel covers which brought me to this post.  Just wanted to inquire, but I think it was a 70 only wheel option.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:19:29 PM »
Jeff,
I did not think they offered that wheel in 71?.............. but I think it was a 70 only wheel option.

Correct - spending too much time working on the Cougar ( where my set are going)   ;)

Fixed the title - thanks
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:17:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Coutu

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2024, 09:35:50 AM »
Hey guys,

Currently in the process of putting together a set of 14"x 7" styled steel wheels (the slotted ones) and trim rings/ hubcaps and am second guessing myself. The way I understood it and the way I have them painted, the back of these wheels are supposed to be a semi-gloss black and the outer face in Argent (silver).

However, using the same logic applied to the stock wheel covers that included some dark argent in the center section to blend with the rocker moldings- are the front face of the styled steel wheels on a Mach 1 and/ or Boss 302 painted in dark argent? Or maybe a slightly lighter argent? Or am I correct in my research of an argent?

Any input would be appreciated, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on this option of wheels,

Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 06:45:36 PM »
Hey guys,

Currently in the process of putting together a set of 14"x 7" styled steel wheels (the slotted ones) and trim rings/ hubcaps and am second guessing myself. The way I understood it and the way I have them painted, the back of these wheels are supposed to be a semi-gloss black and the outer face in Argent (silver).

However, using the same logic applied to the stock wheel covers that included some dark argent in the center section to blend with the rocker moldings- are the front face of the styled steel wheels on a Mach 1 and/ or Boss 302 painted in dark argent? Or maybe a slightly lighter argent? Or am I correct in my research of an argent?

Any input would be appreciated, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on this option of wheels,

Guess they could be referred to as an argent variation or a Charcoal. Like the color of the side cladding on a 70 Mach has been. I guess you used the search feature and found the thread on the subject of 70 style steel wheels so will be merging this post with that older thread. It has some pictures of those wheels that I hope that will help. Don't know anyone that has found the original paint code for the wheels. I had some ones converted to 15"  but choose to powder coat those so that won't help
Jeff Speegle

Offline Coutu

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2024, 09:03:27 AM »

Guess they could be referred to as an argent variation or a Charcoal. Like the color of the side cladding on a 70 Mach has been. I guess you used the search feature and found the thread on the subject of 70 style steel wheels so will be merging this post with that older thread. It has some pictures of those wheels that I hope that will help. Don't know anyone that has found the original paint code for the wheels. I had some ones converted to 15"  but choose to powder coat those so that won't help

Thanks Jeff, glad I second guessed myself before I mounted the tires, and it makes sense as the brushed aluminum finish of the trim ring/ cap finish would be close in color to the argent but be different enough to look "off".

Any input on the wheels being sprayed a lighter shade of argent than the molding, or the same? From a production standpoint it'd make the most sense to match them but I've seen both ways. Attached picture is an example of being a touch lighter, and frankly it does look good even if not correct.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2024, 11:18:20 PM »
Thanks Jeff, glad I second guessed myself before I mounted the tires, and it makes sense as the brushed aluminum finish of the trim ring/ cap finish would be close in color to the argent but be different enough to look "off".

You IMHO should certainly not use the term "argent" to identify the color since there, as mentioned, are so many different ones and most will use it to describe the silver/gray that goes with the cars they have or build (65-68 the lighter almost rattle can chrome paint - later cars the darker color)

By the way the first example shown in post one is a Ford picture but likely a show preproduction advertising car
Jeff Speegle