Author Topic: Light VS Dark GT Emblem  (Read 1948 times)

Offline MWM

Light VS Dark GT Emblem
« on: November 18, 2012, 05:29:35 PM »
Good Afternoon,
I went to an auction recently and saw one '65 fastback with a light red GT emblem and next to it was another fastback with a darker (maroon?) GT emblem. Why the difference? Is one west coast and the other east coast?
Thanks!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Light VS Dark GT Emblem
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 05:47:18 PM »
Believe you'll find that its the plastic verses metal differences. More of an early/late thing (when the emblems were made) not sure if they were each supplied by a different vendor to Ford. But not a plant thing other than when the change over took place.

Sure Charles has some input ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 07:05:49 PM »
Right, the '66 style went to a thin metal frame with plastic insert, which are generally a little lighter in color than the earlier '65 style with pot metal frame and ceramic insert.  Not sure of exact changeover to the plastic style, but it was sometime during early '66 production.  My guess is somewhere around October/November '65.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Jays66gt

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »
I don't know if they are the ones she was born with but my San Jose built, September 1965, GT has dark GT emblems.
1966 GT
6R07A105XXX
San Jose car delivered to Denver in September 1965.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 12:38:46 PM »
     I have the darker/maroon color version on my car and would like to share a little information.  I took some photos recently of an original and a reproduction.  On the front side they are very similar in most respects and and very hard to tell apart.  The OE emblem, on the left, is just slightly lighter in color/hue and the chrome around the lettering is brighter.  The original has better casting definition, the colored outer border is thinner,  the GT letters are slightly more elevated and the emblem is a little heavier.
     On the backside of the original the casting differences are obvious.The original, on the left, the upper left rectangular pad is stamped with the part # C5ZB-16098-G.  The upper right rectangular pad contains the stylized FoMoCo and oval.  Near the bottom is stamped AECo.   Brian
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 03:43:01 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.