Author Topic: 65 Dual exhaust routing When converting From Single  (Read 6127 times)

Offline smines80

65 Dual exhaust routing When converting From Single
« on: October 15, 2013, 11:15:33 PM »
  Working on installing my new dual exhaust.  I ripped out the old system 20 years ago, and threw it away with nothing for reference.  I'm having a hard time figuring out how the resonators route above the axle.  On the drivers side, its seems like the brake hoses are in the way, they rest against the pipe.  And the passenger side resonator is hitting on the shock and wont go into the muffler.  I'm assuming the exhaust tips should come out under/centered on the chrome trim pieces, but how far out do they go?  Flush with the bumper?  My car is not a GT, so its not routed through the rear valance.  I'd appreciate some pictures if anyone has any.  Thanks, how to have it running soon!   
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:27:41 PM by J_Speegle »
1965 coupe, black on red, "A" code 289, 4 speed
5T07A176596

Offline jwc66k

Re: Dual exhaust routing
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:50:55 PM »
I recommend you post your car's year, model, plant and any changes you've made in asking questions. It helps.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:32:56 AM »
As Jim mentioned we'll need to know what year car your working on but in general

Can't think of a single example of a car with resonators above the rear end "having a hard time figuring out how the resonators route above the axle."

"On the drivers side, its seems like the brake hoses are in the way, they rest against the pipe"  is the car an original dual exhaust car or a convert?  Sounds like a single exhaust converted so the long brake line is incorrect and attached to the car in the wrong location.

"I'm assuming the exhaust tips should come out under/centered on the chrome trim pieces, but how far out do they go?  Flush with the bumper?  My car is not a GT, so its not routed through the rear valance."

I'm confused are you going to exist the exhaust below the valance or through "exhaust tips should come out under/centered on the chrome trim pieces....."
But until you give us some additional info we're just guessing ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:25:55 PM »
And the passenger side resonator is hitting on the shock and wont go into the muffler.   

Like Jeff said we need some more details (and photos would be nice) of what you're working on, but the resonator doesn't go into the muffler.  The resonators run along the side of the gas tank and the mufflers are mid-body on the car.

Scott
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com

Offline smines80

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:16:08 PM »
Ok, lemme state that I'm not doing a concours correct restor on every part of my car.  Which is a 65 A code and yes, it came with a single exhaust when we bought the car 20 years ago. 

This dual exhaust system was purchased through NPD.  The resonators, themselves, are running alongside the gas tank, but they eventually have to connect to the muffler somehow.  And its those pipes that seem to be getting in the way of things.  According to Jeff, sounds like they put the brake hoses at different locations on the axle tube.  But I don't understand why the right side would be hitting the shock, unless the resonator tube was bent wrong by NPD.

And I stated my car is NOT a GT, so yes, the tips will be coming out under the valance like all non GT dual exhaust cars.  I'm asking if anyone can help me with ensuring I have the tips properly aligned and exactly where they end in relation to the rear of the car.

Me sending a pic wont be any help sine nothing is correct, I'm hoping someone would send me a pic of a non GT 65-66, dual exhaust system tips so I can make mine correct. 

Thanks y'all   
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:18:30 PM by smines80 »
1965 coupe, black on red, "A" code 289, 4 speed
5T07A176596

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:27:04 PM »
Ok, lemme state that I'm not doing a concours correct restor on every part of my car.  Which is a 65 A code and yes, it came with a single exhaust when we bought the car 20 years ago. 
.....................According to Jeff, sounds like they put the brake hoses at different locations on the axle tube.  But I don't understand why the right side would be hitting the shock, unless the resonator tube was bent wrong by NPD.

Not really different hose and mounting block. The big difference is that the solid brake line attached to the body is mounted approx 10" outward from the single exhaust to clear the drivers side exhaust pipe. Bracket moved and welded and different long brake line I believe

And I stated my car is NOT a GT, so yes, the tips will be coming out under the valance like all non GT dual exhaust cars.  I'm asking if anyone can help me with ensuring I have the tips properly aligned and exactly where they end in relation to the rear of the car.

So they would be the short extensions that clamp over the end of the pipe with the slight turn down (Scott reproduces these) I position the bottom of the turn down end about 1/2" below the rear valance and at least 3/4" away from the valance. Too close and you burn the paint on the valance or deposit soot on it. Have a number of cars like that

IF you go to Scott Fuller's site you'll see plenty of diagrams and pictures of the full system as well as details
Jeff Speegle

Offline Scott Fuller

• Scott Fuller Reproductions
Re: 65 Dual exhaust routing When converting From Single
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »
Here's some information.  I put red boxes around the things that might be helpful to you.

Scott
68 "135" Mustang, 68.5 Blck Mustang CJ Cnvrt, 68 Rd HCS (fact 428), 68 Ac Bl Mustang GT Cnvrt, 68 Ylw GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Hlnd Grn GT500KR Cnvrt, 68 Gld G.T. 500 Cnvrt, 68 Ryl Maroon Mustang Sprint Cpe, 68.5 Hlnd Grn Fstbck, 68.5 Ylw Mustang Fstbck. Visit my website www.scottfullerreproductions.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 02:56:55 AM »
Here's some information.  I put red boxes around the things that might be helpful to you.

Now that's service !!!
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »
The installation as depicted in Scott Fuller's Slide 3 and 4 cannot be done exactly as shown. You do not have the factory installed crush tubes in the frame rails for the rear brackets (see attachment). The best alternative is to use one of the two tie down plate holes for one retaining bolt, one per side, for that bracket. The clamp will be located a couple of inches closer toward the front of the car. You may want to share the clamp with the horseshoe clamps for the tips. 
Other things to consider:
- Replace the LH shackle with the dual (duel is a contest) exhaust type.
- Remove the rear brake line bracket and replace with the dual exhaust type. This requires welding. A new front to rear brake line is also required.
- Install a special dual exhaust rubber hose from the above bracket to the rear axle (Axel lives in Norway) vent.
- Install special dual exhaust brake lines on the rear axle.
Use of the last three items prevent a hot exhaust pipe from melting the rubber brake line (yes, it does happen).
Take care in ordering as there are different brake lines for front to rear dual exhaust systems with or without front disc brakes, and different brake lines for dual exhaust systems with 8 inch or 9 inch rear axles.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »
The installation as depicted in Scott Fuller's Slide 3 and 4 cannot be done exactly as shown. You do not have the factory installed crush tubes in the frame rails for the rear brackets (see attachment). The best alternative is to use one of the two tie down plate holes for one retaining bolt, one per side, for that bracket. ......

You can drill the required holes in the rear frame rails (heck its not like this will be factory ;)  and skip the inner crush sleeves - just don't torque the mounting nuts down allot or drill the holes out slightly larger, cut a couple of pieces of tubing ( slightly shorter than the inner measurements of the frame rails)  and use those as limiters as bolt and nut will "grab before the frame collapses

Was done allot when faking GT's in the 80's
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 11:29:26 PM »
You have to drill thru another panel to put a hole in each side of the frame rail to mount the rear bracket and there's eight of them to do. The rear quarter drop-off or the gas tank frame rim are in the way on each side. If you go that way, there are minimum of four holes to weld up. I've pre-drilled and installed the crush tube before replacement frame rails were put in, that works. A right angle head for a drill is big, so that is out. If I could have done it easily I would have.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 11:46:57 PM »
............A right angle head for a drill is big, so that is out. If I could have done it easily I would have.

You can find short bits that make the job easy with a 90 degree/right angle attachment - been there did it ;)

Or a heat wrench    :o
Jeff Speegle