Author Topic: Faulty voltage regulator  (Read 813 times)

Offline Chris

Faulty voltage regulator
« on: November 02, 2013, 06:38:21 PM »
I just fixed my issue with the generator, getting it polarized. The GEN light had been staying on but went off after the polarization at the generator was done. After a day, the GEN light is back on.

If I polarize at the voltage regulator by using a jumper and touching the Batt and Field terminals of the voltage regulator, the GEN light goes off...until I turn the car off and then on again, and then the GEN light comes back on. When I have the GEN light off after polarizing at the voltage regulator, if I pull the NEG cable off the battery, the car remains running. When the GEN light is on and I pull the NEG battery cable off, the car cuts off. I've read that this points to either the voltgage regulator or generator not charging the battery. Since my generator was just rebuilt, I'm guessing I have a bad voltgage regulator. This is the three-wire style for a generator with a/c.

Has anyone come across this issue with the voltgage regulator resettiing the GEN light but then coming on again after turning the car off?
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline Chris

Re: Faulty voltage regulator
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 12:58:25 AM »
I installed a replacement voltgage regulator, polarized the regulator by touching the Field wire to the Battery wire and everything is working fine now. The GEN light stays off now, so the issue seems to have been the bad regulator causing the GEN light to stay on.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:00:11 AM by Chris »
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64