Author Topic: Horn Date Code  (Read 1941 times)

Offline lscman

Horn Date Code
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
I've got early 64.5-65 Hipo Dearborn car that was built July/Aug of 64 and want to know what the possible date code stamp on horns were?Have redone them and one of the members here offered to let me use his stamp but since has changed his mind and is of no help so need size etc. with location on horns and possible date code?...Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Horn Date Code
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 01:12:15 AM »
They were normally stamped on the back side of the horn (rear face of the mounting arm once mounted so no one will be able to see the white ink stamp. For the 64 built horns I've only seen Year, Month and Shift. So for your car something like 4EC might be appropriate

All digits right side up and in line with others - later allot of different things took place. Stamp applied cross way on the bracket/arm between the unused hole on the arm and the horn
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lscman

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 11:22:16 AM »
Jeff did they do the stamp in ink or white paint as I've never seen white ink?Also what size was letters etc?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:20:47 PM »
Back in the 60s, the most common material used was an epoxy based ink. I used this type of ink in marking electronic components for the defense and commercial industries. It was easy to mix, apply and dried quickly. I would assume that the auto industry was a heavy user. Look up Aero 1250 ink in your favorite search engine. It is expensive but works very well using a rubber stamp and stamp pad.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 08:31:16 PM »
Jeff did they do the stamp in ink or white paint as I've never seen white ink?Also what size was letters etc?

Since it has held up this long my best guess is paint though paint would cause issues with stamps over time - and not very long given the volumn of horns marked. At the same time paint tends to be pushed off of the top of the digits on a stamp and pool between if pressed too hard againist the surface - not something I have observed on these parts. So IMHO the jury is still out. Either will work today in reporducing the look. Yes you can get ink pads and white ink for the pads - just not real easy. I have one for my usage

The font like most of these is no longer in circulation and don't believe ever converted to a digital form for use in computer applications. This is very common and the reason I redraw every letter on every stamp I make by hand. - Have hundreds

There are some modern fonts that will get by I would suspect - but depending on the specific letter or number one might notice a difference

Measuring my stamps (haven't done a 64 dated one)  the compressed height appears to be 3/8". Remember you need to figure in the compression ratio into the stamp or it will end up being too large if you simply copy the finished stamp on a part and make your hand stamp from that - seen it allot

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »
You can still buy and various varieties of white inks are still used apparently. With that said I as well as others have gotten the same look using paint as in the rattle can type.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline lscman

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 01:52:11 PM »
I've looked at Charlas detailed horns and few others and the 3/8th's tall numbers,letters etc. are too big.Between the hole and the bracket rivet is only 3/4 of an inch so looks like 5/16th's is about right after you push on the stamp?